Woodnet Forums

Full Version: I made some shavings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This thing is supposed to hold hot rolls. It's about 13" in diameter and 7" tall. It's locally harvested walnut and maple that cost me nearly $30.
Here are the shavings I mentioned.
Ironic isn't it.  $30 in wood and 20 of it is in the form of shavings and the other $10 is a very nice  form. I really like the shape and colors. What kind of finish for this.

Nice work.
(08-13-2018, 10:31 AM)gear jammer Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of finish for this.

1. Sand through 220, sanding sealer, then sand through 320.

2. Three coats of gloss spar varnish, applied liberally then most of it wiped off, with 0000 steel wool between coats. This piece will be handled frequently so I wanted a robust finish, therefore the varnish.

3. Polish the final coat at 750 rpm with a paper towel to knock the final gloss down just a little bit, per her request.
(08-13-2018, 09:51 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: [ -> ]This thing is supposed to hold hot rolls.  It's about 13" in diameter and 7" tall.  It's locally harvested walnut and maple that cost me nearly $30.
Beautiful....I like it!!!!
Very nice.  That sure is a lot of shavings for a segmented bowl.  Yes
Beautiful........
Beautiful.........
(08-13-2018, 09:51 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: [ -> ]This thing is supposed to hold hot rolls.  It's about 13" in diameter and 7" tall.  It's locally harvested walnut and maple that cost me nearly $30.

Looks like that was $30 well spent.I love the shape and your use of the two woods.Well done.

Mel
That look like it will hold a ton of rolls!
Nicely done Sir
Pages: 1 2