Woodnet Forums

Full Version: How to sharpen Veritas Spoke Shave Blade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I do not currently have a way to sharpen the blade of my Veritas spoke shave (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,50230).
How do you go about sharpening smaller blades such as this one? 

Thank you!

Andy
(09-18-2018, 12:58 PM)titanxt Wrote: [ -> ]I do not currently have a way to sharpen the blade of my Veritas spoke shave (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,50230).
How do you go about sharpening smaller blades such as this one? 

Thank you!

Andy

Lee Valley makes a nice magnetic holder for small blades. Look it up and you may get some ideas on making your own, or decide to order one. I have one, and it works very well.
They sell a small blade jig that works quite well.
(09-18-2018, 01:24 PM)Tony Z Wrote: [ -> ]Lee Valley makes a nice magnetic holder for small blades.  Look it up and you may get some ideas on making your own, or decide to order one.  I have one, and it works very well.

Will it work with the MkII jig?
(09-18-2018, 02:21 PM)titanxt Wrote: [ -> ]Will it work with the MkII jig?

That's a question for Lee Valley!
Called Lee Valley. Unfortunately, it does not work with the MkII. Might stick with freehand, though it's not my first choice. Be a bit hard to shell out the money for the other jig and the small blade holder...
I hollow grind small blades with or without a holder (if so, using either custom or the LV Small Blade holder) and then freehand on the hollow. The hollow lasts a long time, and makes freehanding easier.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I sharpen mine freehand with no jig.

You can also make one out of a stick with a holder and a couple wing nuts.

BTW I found that on a Google search in less time than it takes to dial Lee Valley LOL
A2 steel have proven to be murder on the hands honing free hand...
Here's an inexpensive way to sharpen spokeshave blades with an Eclipse-style jig.  Grab an old plane blade (#4 is perfect) and a piece of double sided tape.  Use the tape to stick the spokeshave blade to the plane blade, with the spokeshave blade protruding a bit.  Then set the angle and sharpen away.  

If you're using a blade protrusion jig to set the blade depth, remember that the doubled blade will be extra thick, so the angle will be slightly off.  Not a big deal as long as you're consistent with it.  Or use one of those magnetic angle finding things. 

I have tried this with rare earth magnets as well and it works, but the doubled blade is even thicker and the tape holds better. 

I don't really like the old style LV magnetic  short blade holder for these spokeshave blades.   I never thought it held the blade securely enough.  Better for the low angle spokeshave blades.  

I now use the L-N jig with the small blade attachment and it's great, but that's the opposite of inexpensive.

I also use the Richard Kell guide for that blade - with the original smaller wheels.  Not perfect, but it works and is a terrific travel sharpening jig because of its size.  I suppose the Eclipse and tape would work for travel as well.

Free hand would be great if I could ever develop that skill.

Good luck,

Steve
Pages: 1 2