Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Crosscut Sled Foibles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just finished a crosscut sled for a shop where I volunteer. Only mistake was where I made the blade kerf. I centered it instead of offsetting it 4" or 5" Not a major issue just limits the width of the workpiece without adding an extension arm.

I purchased a flip stop from Rockler and length of T-Track from Kreg. This was a mistake as they are incompatible. So I kept the Kreg T-Track and made a flip stop from 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. The first iteration had the moveable arm on one side of the mounting block. This flexed a little bit so I added a second moveable arm on the other side of the mounting block and glued a block of wood between them as a stiffener. This works much better. The downside was this reduced the maximum cutting width by another 2"

When I added the second moveable arm the wooden knob for the flip stop was too wide so I made another one with a slightly smaller diameter.

It was when I was testing the extension arm I was introduced to the 'dead zone' created by not making the blade kerf offset by a few inches. I could cut a workpiece up to 10.5" in length and between 12" and 28" The solution was easy and certainly not thought of in advance. I use an adjustable clamp on the extension arm.

Sometimes things work out even when I try my darnedest to mess them up Smile

Bill