Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Neglected by table saw (rust)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been religiously applying wax to my table saw's surface until last year.  Doh.  I have noticed today that some spots have some surface rust on it.  Should I use a very fine sandpaper to remove it or do something else?
Use a razor blade to scrape it off then I would start out with Scotchbrite green pad and WD 40 if it is just light rust before going to sandpaper. Roly
Yep, just as Roly said. Slight surface rust is not a hard thing to fix. Elbow grease is your friend, Big Grin
(03-17-2019, 06:37 PM)Roly Wrote: [ -> ]Use a razor blade to scrape it off then I would start out with Scotchbrite green pad and WD 40 if it is just light rust before going to sandpaper.  Roly

Thank you Roly for the tip.
(03-17-2019, 06:37 PM)Roly Wrote: [ -> ]Use a razor blade to scrape it off then I would start out with Scotchbrite green pad and WD 40 if it is just light rust before going to sandpaper.  Roly

I do the same on mine.  For the razor blade, I use one of the 4" razor scraper you can get at any of the home supply stores. The handle gives you a little extra power when pushing through the rust and the thicker blade is less likely to snap and send shrapnel flying.  Then I use a scotchbrite pad under a palm sander for final clean up. Then paste wax.
Wax is not a rust protectant. Use something designed specifically as a metal rust protector. CorrosionX, Boeshield, or true synthetic motor oil. Let it sit and "bake in" for a couple days before you wipe it down - then you can wax it for an easy slide. JMO & YMWV
(03-17-2019, 06:28 PM)Cpl_Eyeball Wrote: [ -> ]I have been religiously applying wax to my table saw's surface until last year.  Doh.  I have noticed today that some spots have some surface rust on it.  Should I use a very fine sandpaper to remove it or do something else?
The wax you used may have caused the rust. Johnson Paste Wax is what I and most others use, does not promote rust. Car wax will cause rust.
# 3 steel wool will cut thru the rust quickly and 220 sandpaper will also work but a bit slower. 
mike
(03-19-2019, 06:01 PM)cputnam Wrote: [ -> ]Wax is not a rust protectant.  Use something designed specifically as a metal rust protector.  CorrosionX, Boeshield, or true synthetic motor oil.  Let it sit and "bake in" for a couple days before you wipe it down - then you can wax it for an easy slide.  JMO & YMWV

What he said.  Boeshield+Wax is your friend.
(03-19-2019, 06:01 PM)cputnam Wrote: [ -> ]CorrosionX, Boeshield, or true synthetic motor oil.  Let it sit and "bake in" for a couple days before you wipe it down - then you can wax it for an easy slide.  JMO & YMWV

Does that cause a problem with finishing? Just curious, never heard that suggested before. I know car wax will, due to the silicone content.
I used to use a razor blade for rust but found them flimsy and the edge was short lived.  
I now use this that is far more comfortable to use and more durable.

[attachment=17560]

[attachment=17561]
Pages: 1 2