Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Grinding a drawknife
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you grind a drawknife? I've got one I'm trying to rehab, and it appears this one has spent a good chunk of it's life being sharpened in the middle, as opposed to the full length (this might show on the pictures). So basically I need to grind away some material towards the ends of the blade, but do practically nothing in the middle. I can visualize how to do this with something like a narrow belt sander. But as for my 6" grinder I can't figure it out. The handle seems to be in the way with the body of the grinder. And there is little to nothing for registering the blade on. Any suggestions?
I have an article on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...knife.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thanks Derek. That job might be just what I need. I'll give it a shot.

Mark
(08-22-2019, 10:16 PM)msweig Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Derek. That job might be just what I need. I'll give it a shot.

Mark

You can also put a slight outboard bevel on the face of the grinding wheel to gain clearance for the motor. A few degrees is about all it takes. But this is where a small belt grinder earns it's keep. You can take the edge from rough grind to mirror polish on a belt grinder with an assortment of grits and a leather stropping belt.
Belt sander.