Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Do you use a file in your dovetail work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The latest Fine Woodworking issue has a reader's tip on using a file to fine fit the dovetail joint. Is a file part of your dovetail kit too?

Simon
I've never tried it. Intuitively, I would think a file would cause some tearout on the edges.
I saw that tip too, and remember reacting...What!?
I guess you could, but with a lot of care; not my intuitive, nor first, choice.
If dovetails need trimming, a paring chisel is your friend.
The risk with a file or rasp is that you can round over the face. I have tried these tools, and the only way it can work is if you press the file/rasp against the face, and keep a finger against it as if a guide. I do not know how it was done in the article.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Similar to this except that in the tip, the file is held with one one hand while the other hand holds a square on the top of the end grain to guide the filing -

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2015/03/...erfect-fit

Simon
(09-03-2019, 01:59 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: [ -> ]Similar to this except that in the tip, the file is held with one one hand while the other hand holds a square on the top of the end grain to guide the filing -

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2015/03/...erfect-fit

Simon

I looked at the picture to see what he was doing.,and It looks like something probably I have tried in the past. But I have found from experience that a file does not cut wood very well. Teeth are to fine and it tends to clog up the teeth. 

I use nothing but stickett sand paper, it comes in 10 yard rolls. I would be more inclined to stick a 100 grit  piece onto a board about the size of the file in the picture and do it that way, easier to control.One would need to be very careful with short strokes A person can did himself in a big hole in a very big hurry. Someone else mentioned a sharp chisel and again one would need to be very careful again or one can find himself in a big hole very quickly.

Tom
A file would not be my first thought either.

Sand paper makes sense. Perhaps even an emery board?

Next time I do some dovetails I guess I can try sand paper.
In the past they either go together or I "tap em" a bit and then
they do.

Maybe I am just lucky?
I mainly use chisels, but I do once in a blue moon, use a Grobet VulCrylic 4 way detail file if it is better suited to the problem / defect. Where I mainly use the file, is to round off the inside corners of the tails, when doing half blind dovetails.
Pages: 1 2 3