Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Math/angle help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How do I figure the angle I need to cut on the bottom of these legs to make them sit flat?
I can't help with the math, but I would measure the height the one side is off the floor and then mark that distance on the other side, run a line from that point to the opposite corner and make the cut. Does that make sense?
Well, you don't have any numbers, so I'd just draw a line on the leg parallel to the floor, take it to a miter saw and line up the blade with the line.  Then just make the cut.

But...  the interior angles of a triangle add up to 180.   The problem is that a saw blade angle is measured relative to 90 degrees.  So to cut a board at an 80 degree angle, the gauge will read 10.
(10-17-2019, 07:47 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: [ -> ]How do I figure the angle I need to cut on the bottom of these legs to make them sit flat?

Just flip the bevel guage over and mark the board ...
(10-17-2019, 07:47 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: [ -> ]How do I figure the angle I need to cut on the bottom of these legs to make them sit flat?

As Sawman said just flip over your bevel gauge.  In this picture pink board is floor:

[Image: FxFpByL.jpg]

Flipped:

[Image: QwUyb92.jpg?1]

Draw line (parallel to floor):

[Image: knvd2UV.jpg?1]

Or you can just use bevel gauge to set angle of your saw:

[Image: Atg95LA.jpg]
You know, guys, I should have known this but just drew a blank.

Thanks.
You'll find that happens more and more as you age. Laugh
The OP was very good at describing his problem.....by using a photo. Many people pose their questions in (not easy to comprehend) text.

To the OP's question, another way to solve it if a sliding bevel is not around: place a block (that has parallel edges) on the floor against the leg and draw a line referencing along the top edge.

In other words, draw a line on the leg that's parallel to the floor.

Simon
(10-18-2019, 05:09 AM)fredhargis Wrote: [ -> ]You'll find that happens more and more as you age. Laugh

Ha ha, for me, I can't remember when I started forgetting........
(10-18-2019, 09:10 AM)Admiral Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha, for me, I can't remember when I started forgetting........

but ya remembered ya started forgetting. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2