Woodnet Forums

Full Version: basic " " of woodworking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I read once that all woodworking basically is one of two operations.  !st one is chiseling, meaning cutting, planing, etc. all are pretty much a variation of using a chisel.  My problem is I can't remember the second and I should be able to figure it out.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste.  

It might have been  Christhopher Swartz when he was a guest on Woodwright Shop with Roy Underhill.  It probably wasn't original from him either.

I thought it was interesting, but not enough to recall

Thanks1
Is it cleaning up all the stuff you chiseled off? Big Grin
Measuring? Assemblying? Finishing? Thinking?
Cleaning mentioned above is good candidate too... Smile
I would think that sawing would be important. I personally look at woodworking  as a process  of subtraction (cutting and shaping of the individual pieces) and addition (gluing the pieces together).
Sawing, filing, scraping, shearing, and rasping all use the same sort of cutting action as a chisel (some of them on very different scales, of course).

Sanding/grinding come to mind as possibly different.

Measuring/designing mentioned above also seem possible. Cleaning up after the chiseling would seem like a throw-away type joke to me. So, CS could have said that.
(12-30-2019, 12:22 PM)toolmiser Wrote: [ -> ]I read once that all woodworking basically is one of two operations.  !st one is chiseling, meaning cutting, planing, etc. all are pretty much a variation of using a chisel.  My problem is I can't remember the second and I should be able to figure it out.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste.  

It might have been  Christhopher Swartz when he was a guest on Woodwright Shop with Roy Underhill.  It probably wasn't original from him either.

I thought it was interesting, but not enough to recall

Thanks1

I believe it was Chiseling which was defined as any woodworking operation requiring a cutting tool - and Hammering which was defined as the application of force.  I don't remember where I heard it either.

Mike
I think the act of "fitting" might encompass design, measuring, assembly, fastening, etc. I guess that if you are trying to pare it down to bare bones basics, finishing and clean-up aren't really wood working. And, in my case, thinking is hardly basic :>)
Since almost anything can be built with just a chisel, I'll suggest design as the missing half.
Per Roy Underhill, all operations fall under wedge or edge.
The answer is chiseling and masking your chiseling mistakes.
Pages: 1 2