Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Where to buy a round?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking for a round plane with a radius about 3/8". Aside from eBay or lucking out on the Swap and Sell section here, where is a good place to look? Want used and inexpensive.

Thanks.
(11-09-2020, 07:55 PM)Aram Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking for a round plane with a radius about 3/8". Aside from eBay or lucking out on the Swap and Sell section here, where is a good place to look? Want used and inexpensive.

Thanks.

Shoot him an email and let him know what you are looking for  http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm   Sanford Moss,    He found some snipes bill planes for me at a fantastic price, and his terms are old school.  You confirm the order, he ships it to you,  you inspect, and if you like, you pay.    It is great to see that people can still operate that way - all based on trust.
(11-09-2020, 08:21 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: [ -> ]Shoot him an email and let him know what you are looking for  http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm   Sanford Moss,    He found some snipes bill planes for me at a fantastic price, and his terms are old school.  You confirm the order, he ships it to you,  you inspect, and if you like, you pay.    It is great to see that people can still operate that way - all based on trust.

Thank you
https://msbickford.com/currently-available/

Talk to this guy, he can make you one.
When I first saw the title of this thread....I was thinking " The Local Pub"?     then I found out it was about a hand plane, and not a free pint of Guinness...drat. No

Most antique stores around here have at least a few Hollows & Rounds sitting around  (1/4" one is sitting downtown from me..$10)
Sorry if this is mansplaining. I think you are looking for a #6 R. When you search or ask for moldies, it helps to speak the language. And that's a plane with a convex sole that makes a concave feature.
(11-10-2020, 10:33 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry if this is mansplaining.  I think you are looking for a #6 R.  When you search or ask for moldies, it helps to speak the language. And that's a plane with a convex sole that makes a concave feature.

Thank you. I don't generally use molding planes, and I don't know the terminology. That helps.
(11-10-2020, 10:33 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry if this is mansplaining.  I think you are looking for a #6 R.  When you search or ask for moldies, it helps to speak the language. And that's a plane with a convex sole that makes a concave feature.

The number is the number of 16th's of an inch radius of the cutter.  So, a #6 is a 6/16 of an inch or 3/8 inch radius.  Hollows and rounds are generally purchased or acquired in pairs, because as a pair, you can create a well-proportioned ogee profile.

Plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to use them.  Roy Underhill even had an episode or two on how to create mouldings.
(11-10-2020, 05:22 PM)AHill Wrote: [ -> ]The number is the number of 16th's of an inch radius of the cutter.  So, a #6 is a 6/16 of an inch or 3/8 inch radius.  Hollows and rounds are generally purchased or acquired in pairs, because as a pair, you can create a well-proportioned ogee profile.

Plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to use them.  Roy Underhill even had an episode or two on how to create mouldings.

The pair thing makes no sense to me. First time I read that was in Michael Dunbar’s seminal text “restoring tuning and using classic hand tools”. He recommended always buying matching pairs. Years after reading the book, I ran into Mike (what a thrill) in a Williamsburg conference and asked why he wrote that. He didn’t have a good answer. I wondered if it was that you could use one to clean up the other.

Otherwise, ogees et al don’t care and often look better to me with smaller rounds.
(11-10-2020, 09:23 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: [ -> ]The pair thing makes no sense to me. 

Especially if you need one convex plane, to shape a certain feature on drawer pulls.
Pages: 1 2