Woodnet Forums

Full Version: It followed me home, can I keep it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So..rather than spend the $190 to fix the old external  hard drive....counting buying a new one....I went next door to the Computer store to visit the Antique Mall...

and...this little thing wanted to go home with me...
[attachment=39460]
I guess it no longer wanted to sit close to a Stanley Handyman #4...there was also the parts to a low angle plane (body, cap iron, knob) not the best sort of company to keep....price for this "Treasure"?
[attachment=39461]
A better look..
[attachment=39462]
I do have a small block plane at home...
[attachment=39463]
An AL #101 sized by Foster of Buffalo, NY.

Took the $5.29 plane to the shop, and get it ready for a bit of rehab..
[attachment=39464]
Paint was about...50/50, decided to strip off the old flaky paint..
[attachment=39465]
Flatten the sole and the back of the iron, and sharpen the iron at bit....replaced the old paint..
[attachment=39466]

There is an issue, with the post the iron sits on....has a compound bevel...in addition to the bevel it is suppose to have...it also leans to the left...or should I say "lists to Port".   Cap iron had a lump at the edge, bed needed cleaned up....
[attachment=39467]
Had to wait until the paint was well dried, no rush.....big Mill File to work on that pillar....
[attachment=39468]
So..about an hour in the shop, plus waiting around on paint to dry.....Plane Til now has a Stanley sized 102 "Apron  Plane" to work alongside the 101...Maybe I can "retire" the American Tool & Foundry version.......?
Very nice refurb!!!

I love to do just that, take something old and make it presentable as well as useable again.... it doesn’t have to be TOL stuff just any old hand tool.