Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Angled apron and leg design help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would really like to get into mid-century design furniture.  I really like the style.  I have a commission for a piece in that design coming soon, but it's with a specific plan that lays out the funky angles, with videos and templates to assist.

I'll be honest:  I struggle simply designing square furniture.  Tossing in angles throws me off.

I have somebody who wants a table in the style and sent me a picture from a catalog.  I use Sketchup decently well and could likely draw it out if I could come up with dimensions and angles.

Can any of y'all offer advice/assistance on how to get started on such a thing?  I am completely lost when it comes to *design*.  I know I can build it with floating tenons, so that's not an issue.

Help?
(02-26-2022, 12:14 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: [ -> ]I would really like to get into mid-century design furniture.  I really like the style.  I have a commission for a piece in that design coming soon, but it's with a specific plan that lays out the funky angles, with videos and templates to assist.

I'll be honest:  I struggle simply designing square furniture.  Tossing in angles throws me off.

I have somebody who wants a table in the style and sent me a picture from a catalog.  I use Sketchup decently well and could likely draw it out if I could come up with dimensions and angles.

Can any of y'all offer advice/assistance on how to get started on such a thing?  I am completely lost when it comes to *design*.  I know I can build it with floating tenons, so that's not an issue.

Help?

There is a way to import a photo into SketchUp.  I've never used it but I know it can be done.  Maybe DaveR1 will come along to assist.  Or you could send him a PM or email.  Otherwise, you will need some dimensions and/or an actual drawing to work from, or you could guess, draw it in SketchUp and compare your progress to the photo you have.  

There's a very good article in the most recent issue of FWW on building a table with splayed legs.  

John
Oops. Disaster averted.

They want a table that I have plans for. That table there was what they ordered, but had been delayed for months.
Fine Woodworking has a blog or section of their website that is dedicated to designing in sketchup. It's helped me over a few humps in the past. If you are already proficient at Sketchup, it would probably be helpful to browse.