Woodnet Forums

Full Version: May I cut away this barrier?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to need to take many trips to the attic for my remodel.  I have to climb through the hatch in my garage and then squeeze through this opening to get to the attic over the remodel site.  It's a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures.  I was seriously concerned my shoulders would get stuck.

[attachment=44371]

The wood supporting the foil backed hardboard doesn't appear to be structural.  It seems like I can even see gaps.

[attachment=44370]

I don't know enough to know if this is structurally needed to support the roof, but it doesn't seem like it.  I don't even know why it's up there.  Even if I just cut away a 'stud" next to the existing opening, it would make my life so much easier.

What do you think?
Doesn't look structural to me either.
I would remove all or part of it if it makes your task easier.
Hard to think why it's there, if it's for insulation it's not doing much with a hole in it and a gap above it. Does it line up with anything underneath or is it the edge of some structure envelope?
(09-26-2022, 07:49 PM)PossumDog Wrote: [ -> ]Does it line up with anything underneath or is it the edge of some structure envelope?

It's a manufactured house so this partition is between the garage (which I think was built on site) and the kitchen/living room section.
Yep, take it out.
Looks like it just kept the wind from blowing thru while it was going down the highway.
I know some jurisdictions require firebarrier walls in attics, especially with garage involved. I suspect your boards are nailers for firebarrier wall.  I suspect you could cut out enough to make larger hole teo complete your current project and then replace the drywall/hardboard when project done.  having said this and believing it to be true, I am still confused why the barrier doesn't go all the way to roof?
(09-28-2022, 11:35 AM)rayknight Wrote: [ -> ]I know some jurisdictions require firebarrier walls in attics, especially with garage involved. I suspect your boards are nailers for firebarrier wall.  I suspect you could cut out enough to make larger hole teo complete your current project and then replace the drywall/hardboard when project done.  having said this and believing it to be true, I am still confused why the barrier doesn't go all the way to roof?

Only between the garage and living space. From floor, through the attic to the roof line.
(09-28-2022, 08:22 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Only between the garage and living space. From floor, through the attic to the roof line.

looks like they were a bit short gettin to the roof line- if that was intended for fire barrier.
that rafter on the right looks a bit weird.