Woodnet Forums

Full Version: 2 hand planes, $15 for both?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yard sale items....stopped by a place called "Junk-n-the-Box"   and found a Stanley No.5....well, I found 3 side by side...middle one was blue, right one was missing a bunch of parts..left one left with me for $5..
[attachment=47927]
Turned out to be a Stanley Type 14/15...only damage found was a chipped corner on the lever cap...with 1/2 of the nickel plate worn away....still had a trace of orange paint in the clipped Corner logo ....and some orange paint on the sides of the frog..
[attachment=47928]
Full tear down...clean up, sharpen up..
[attachment=47929]
Clean out the mess...
[attachment=47930]
No paint was involved...just a wipe down of the black japanning with some 3in1 oil..
[attachment=47931]
Ready to go back to work..BTW..the iron does have that SW trademark....

Second plane, cost $10..
[attachment=47932]
I have seen worst....but, this one was the same size as a Stanley No. 4-1/2c....figured I could replace the tote...and clean it up a bit..
[attachment=47933]
Took a while, and it did involve paint this time..
[attachment=47934]
Turned out to be a Sargent Type 3 No. 410c, sold as a Fulton at Sears...
[attachment=47935]
Same same as my Stanley No. 4-1/2, Type 11 SW...
[attachment=47936]
Just that the Stanley (same age?) cost me $70 more that the Sargent made plane....

Something about a book and it's cover?
Nice job on the planes, Bandit.

Haven't seen you around here lately...have you been building boxes without sharing with us?  I appreciated every build-along you shared.
(07-24-2023, 07:10 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: [ -> ]Nice job on the planes, Bandit.

Haven't seen you around here lately...have you been building boxes without sharing with us?  I appreciated every build-along you shared.
Building  a bench top Organizer at the moment....similar to one from Paul Sellers' Masterclasses,   his had a single drawer, mine will have 2 shallow drawers...have fun!