Woodnet Forums

Full Version: New Organizer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wood has been resawn to 1/2" thick....some parts are 1/4" or less.....
[attachment=47937]
Only the sides and the back will be full height...
[attachment=47938]
And I am trying to get the grain to line up all the way around...
[attachment=47939]
Top of the box will be a tray....with a lid over it....front of the tray will be dovetailed to the sides....below that, will be a pair of drawers...which is why those narrow strips are needed...both for the Drawer Fronts and sides and backs...and for the front edge of the tray.
[attachment=47940]
That narrow strip?   Divider between the 2 drawers, hiding a plywood panel the upper drawer will be sliding on.....lower drawer will be sliding on a panel that is also a base....
[attachment=47941]
This stack is parts for the lid....might be a Frame & Raised Panel?   We'll see..

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up....all done in me head....seems to work.    Wood is all Ash...other than 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood...
Stay tuned...
Dovetail  the back 2 corners:

First off, that 3/4" plywood panel I use as a chopping block....was no longer flat...so
[attachment=47942]
A Sargent made Fulton No. 410c ( Stanley No. 4-1/2c size)  Fresh out of Rehab, got put to work 

laid out a few tools, after cleaning the bench from the last plane rehab ( $10 Sargent 410c)
[attachment=47943]
Laid out the pins first...
[attachment=47944]
Clamp the side board face up on the block, and chop about halfway down..
[attachment=47945]
Then flip over and finish chopping...had to get out a narrower chisel...
[attachment=47946]
Use these pins and a SHARP No.2 Pencil ( high tech stuff, right there) trace around each pin.    Back board then heads to the Bandsaw ( HORRORS!) and the waste is sawn out...come back to the bench for a dry fit..
[attachment=47947]
Not too bad?  Was starting to get a bit rusty doing these....Ok..repeat the above for the other back corner...
[attachment=47948]
So..now both corners are done....
[attachment=47949]
I can set this aside for a while....I need to mill a couple grooves for a tray bottom and a drawer runner...

One other task for Sunday....glue up a panel to act as the base for this box...didn't have a solid piece wide enough like Paul Sellers did...I did have a bunch of 4/4 x 2" strips, of Ash.   Task was to cut them to rough length, and resaw them to 5/8" thick....then rip square edges to make gluing 6 strips into one panel..
[attachment=47950]
With cauls to keep things almost flat...let this panel sit a day or 3...then flatten it on both faces, square the ends, and adjust the width...

Be laying out the runners next time...plowing a few grooves...and see about sizing the widths of the 3 pieces up in front of the box...
Stay tuned..
Question being?   WHAT am I trying to get Organized, this time?
[attachment=47951]
Well, I picked this cardboard box up at the same sale as that Sargent No. 410c...
[attachment=47952]
Yeah, yeah,,,been rehabbed and put to work already, see above...

So, what was IN that box..
[attachment=47953]
Besides a LOT of Machinist's Charts..well..
[attachment=47954]
Not too sure about that clamp thingy, but the rest?
[attachment=47955]
Might just be worth the price?  Plastic case has a "Steadtler-Mars" logo, along with 3 cases of their Leads..

Along with a few other such tools...I kind of need to get them organized, don't ya think?
Day 2?  Front pieces needed cut to length, so....Mitersaw?
[attachment=47956]
Cordless, of course...Parts needed cut to length
[attachment=47957]
There was a few bad ends to clean up..
[attachment=47958]
Note the reflection in the saw blade?   Seems to say the saw is cutting a perfect 90 degrees...
[attachment=47959]
Parts laid out...I used the back of the box to get the lengths needed.   I also needed to rip the 3 wider parts to width, so that they all fit..
[attachment=47960]
2 are drawer fronts...the top one needed a rebate to house the front edge of the plywood panel "floor"
[attachment=47961]
Top piece gets dovetailed into place, plywood is glued into the rebate...
[attachment=47962]
While this narrow strip will cover the edge of the plywood drawer runner..

As for that floor?
[attachment=47963]
This is what you will see, when you raise the lid....Might add a layer of green felt, later?

A 2 drawer version of Paul Sellers' Table Top Organizer...

Stay tuned...
Bandit,

That clamp thingy in th e box lot of Monday's post clamps the base of a  swing arm lamp to a table top.

Frank S in IA
What happened to the baseline of the dovetails?
Quite simple, actually....Like Paul Sellers, I prefer the layout lines NOT to be shown..Even if they are, they are either a knifed line, or the pencil lines were soon sanded off. 

Box will be used to hold a LOT of the lay-out tools...a case to be stored in the workshop...nothing more...

Are you referring to that DRY fit....?
[attachment=48016]
Because this is after the case came out of the clamps, today....cleaned up...
Shoptime this morning, BEFORE things get too warm....

Case & Base are out of the clamps...back needs to be flush...so..
[attachment=48019]
Might as well trim the ends flush as well...
[attachment=48020]
Then, sized the drawer fronts for a snug fit, for now..
[attachment=48021]
Then cut 2 plywood panels for the drawer bottoms...
[attachment=48022]
And then I could cut the sides and backs to the proper sizes...
[attachment=48023]
Will start on the joinery, this evening...once the shop has cooled back down...
Great start Bandit. Don't over do. This heat we're experiencing is serious business.
(07-27-2023, 11:57 AM)professore Wrote: [ -> ]Bandit,

That clamp thingy in th e box lot of Monday's post clamps the base of a  swing arm lamp to a table top.

Frank S in IA
That's what I was thinking also..Winkgrin
Pages: 1 2