Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Marking on truck door
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[attachment=48537]

I can't figure this out & how to remove it. It's smooth but still there after several washings. Any suggestions what I can use to remove this blemish?
(10-13-2023, 12:54 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: [ -> ]I can't figure this out & how to remove it. It's smooth but still there after several washings. Any suggestions what I can use to remove this blemish?

Snipe Hunter is/was a pro car painter.  I am assuming this is something on the paint, not scratches.  Snipe typically recommends using turpentine to take stuff off of the clear coat of paint.  

If it were me, I'd try some polishing compound, but it sounds like the turpentine is a no-lose proposition as it won't hurt the clear coat on that, otherwise, nicely shiny door.

Good luck.
It would help to know what it is or where it was parked near when it happened. My wife once parked her car in the parking structure at work and something dripped on it from the concrete which I imagine was saltpeter. Whatever it was dried and left a huge splatter. Solvent and fine polishing compound didn’t help but vinegar took it right off. I don’t recommend any solvents if at all possible. Good luck to you.
appears too look like something smacked into it while driving?
without knowing what it is, id start with a clay bar.
(10-13-2023, 12:54 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: [ -> ]I can't figure this out & how to remove it. It's smooth but still there after several washings. Any suggestions what I can use to remove this blemish?

Looks to me as if the dog was hoping to get in the car.
Not sure what happened without seeing it personally but if you can't catch it with a fingernail, it's probably paint transfer from something white.
Try a little lacquer thinner on a small spot and see if it wipes off. I'd probably do it on the handle to keep it localized. If it doesn't come off easily STOP!. You don't want to soften the clear-coat. If it does come off, get it all off but to it quickly so you don't hurt the clear-coat. It will probably dull the clear-coat a little so you'll need to buff a shine back into it. You can do this by hand with a polishing compound and a slightly damp NEW microfiber towel.

If it doesn't work, get back to me and we'll go from there
BTW... has this door ever been repainted?
(10-13-2023, 01:06 PM)Blaine Wrote: [ -> ]Snipe Hunter is/was a pro car painter.  I am assuming this is something on the paint, not scratches.  Snipe typically recommends using turpentine to take stuff off of the clear coat of paint.  

If it were me, I'd try some polishing compound, but it sounds like the turpentine is a no-lose proposition as it won't hurt the clear coat on that, otherwise, nicely shiny door.

Good luck.

Only for organic material... sap, chewing gum etc.
(10-16-2023, 06:48 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]BTW... has this door ever been repainted?

No never been painted. I'll try what you suggested in the previous message and will get back with you. Thanks
(10-15-2023, 07:34 PM)Petertaylor Wrote: [ -> ]Looks to me as if the dog was hoping to get in the car.

Funny, but my dogs are little guys
Pages: 1 2 3