Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Screen Door Frame Repair (PICS)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I was about to re-screen the bottom screen of my screen door when I realized that the support bar (2nd image) was loose. I took a closer look at the support bar and I noticed that the screws had rusted and there was nothing for the screws to connect to on the end of the support bar. I am attaching some pictures. Is there some type of insert I buy for the end (1st image)? You can see the holes where I removed the two screws in the 1st image.

Thanks, Bill
Put a wooden plug in it and then screw into that
(11-12-2023, 12:29 PM)fixtureman Wrote: [ -> ]Put a wooden plug in it and then screw into that

Yes
(11-12-2023, 12:45 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Yes

Thanks.... being a fellow woodworker I thought about wood but I was not sure if it would hold up. I thought there may be some type of aluminimum end cap I was suppsoed to use.
Looks like the screws screwed into extruded slots but galvanic corrosion between the steel screws and aluminum cross bar turned those screw slots into aluminum oxide (dust).

Might want to do both ends.

I wouldn't screw into the end grain.
I'd use a scrap of composite decking and epoxy that into the hole. It will hold a screw and last longer than a wood insert.