Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Buying Electric Range/Stove
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Planning on buying a new Electric range/stove in the next month or two. Current avocado green is over 40 years old and developing problems.  Nice thing about it was that it had two ovens,(wife liked that).  Looking for suggestions brands/models, things to avoid.  Never bought one before, they all came with the various houses that we bought.  Thanks in advance.
If you want to stay with 2 ovens, we had a Whirlpool we bouht for our last house that worked out well. This was an electric, glass top range. Of the 2 ovens, the upper one was slightly smaller but they worked out well. The one we had was a predecessor to this one. The one thing I didn't like was setting the temp (or the clock). Instead of a keypad to allow direct, you turned the oven and it would show 350°, then you either walked that temp up or down to what you wanted. Same with the clock, it would start at 12:00 AM, then you held the button to advance it to the time you wanted. They may have changed that in the newer models. But Whirlpool still makes their stuff in the US, and that was a big reason I bought it in the first place.
Friends of ours bought a Samsung with a double oven door that was supposed to be used either as a single or double oven, depending on how you used the doors.
It took an hour to preheat, had so much trouble with it, they sold it a year after they got it.
Thanks to both of you for the information.  Don't know if the two ovens is a requirement, but she does like them when doing larger meals or keeping things warm.  These days the top is usually a microwave.  Don't think they were invented for home use when our current oven was built. 

Surprised about the problems with Samsung, thought they were supposed to be one of the better manufacturers.
To me the problem with a microwave built in to the range is that if it goes bad, the entire range needs replacing.  I've always preferred the countertop type that can be repalced easily.....although they have become much more reliable over the years.
You may find that the new range will require a ground conductor from the main service panel. If it isn't hard wired, you probably have a 3 prong receptacle. 2 hots with 1 neutral, no ground. The ground shared the neutral. Can't do that any more and meet code. Ground and neutral need to be separate. My house was built around 1990. I needed to run new wire. 2 hots, a ground and a neutral. Red and Black Hots, White Neutral and a bare ground. 3 wire + Ground code changed in 1996, widely adopted by 2020. Newer dryers are the same way.
If it helps... the newer GE appliances (made by Haier) are much better than the older ones made by GE. I put GE Profile in the new kitchen.. 3 years ago? No issues except a faulty fan in the fridge... $19.00 from Amazon. I think Haier dropped the "Profile" name since then. Not sure if it's still the same but you could buy Haier a little cheaper than the same product with the GE badge, same warranty. We bought all GE because of a sale. Most of it came from Costco because they give you a longer warranty. The price of the appliance at Costco was about the same as everybody else.
Thanks once again for the comments.  Doesn't look like two ovens are likely.  Liked the LG we saw but still holding off on decision for another week or so.
We had a Samsung for 6 years, and the controls went bonkers.

So we replaced it with the GE Profile double oven electric range about 4 months ago.

Wife loves it. $1800.00 and worth every penny. Samsung was $1200, but not as solid as the Profile.

And I wasn't about to go through with control issues again.... 

[Image: 6444795_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550]
(11-18-2023, 07:25 PM)barnowl Wrote: [ -> ]We had a Samsung for 6 years, and the controls went bonkers.

So we replaced it with the GE Profile double oven electric range about 4 months ago.

Wife loves it. $1800.00 and worth every penny. Samsung was $1200, but not as solid as the Profile.

And I wasn't about to go through with control issues again.... 

[Image: 6444795_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550]

I have pre-written narratives to describe defects in my inspection software... probably a couple thousand? Every time I see something new, I save my comment so I don't have to write is again. I just click on a pull down menu and find it and it goes into the report. The more I use it, the further it moves to the top of the list. "The inspector observed a malfunctioning digital display on the kitchen range. Recommend repair or replace". That's 2nd from the top of the kitchen range list. Jut behind inoperable burner. Almost always Samsung ranges. "The inspector observed a malfunctioning digital display on the refrigerator." Recommend repair or replace". That's number 3 on the refrigerator list below inoperable ice maker and inoperable water dispenser. Also almost always Samsung
Pages: 1 2 3