Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Log splitter- gas vs electric
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From what I’ve found so far electric is quieter and less cost, but do they really last?
Sure a gas powered unit isn’t limited to the availability of electric power, but that’s not a concern for my uses.
How many ton should I look for in a log splitter? I’m just a splitting 2-4 cords a year for personal use.
Thanks
Nothing is going to beat a gas engine. Plus, the longer the cord to the electric motor the more wattage you lose.
As for tons, if you are splitting a lot of knotty wood, then go with high 20s or 30 ton. My 30 ton spits everything with ease.
My only experience is with rented gas powered ones (I think they were rated 20 ton). Even they had to struggle with some of the larger pieces, I can't imagine an electric one being able to handle anything of size. Of course, if you're like me the last thing you want is yet anther small engine to maintain....even so if I was buying one it would be gas. Honestly, for 2-4 cords a year renting one might be a better approach,
Gas is the only way to go, electric limits where you can use it. They are a dangerous machines to use if you do not pay attention. I have a 37-ton tow behind splitter that has split every log that I have put on it. A 2-stage pump is a must. Depending what size rounds you will split, a hydraulic lift table is nice but not necessary. Some splitters can be used horizontal or vertically. I only use mine horizontal.
I've seen commercial elec applications that worked well. They were usually self built at a job shop. Big 1750 rpm 5hp 220V motor with a big pump, would run all day no problem. Usually hoked up close to the elec supply.
A smaller version for home use could be fashioned with the right setup. Pump, control, and say a 1hp 220V motor.
You can certainly get plenty of punch out of an electric log splitter...but does anyone make them? A 20 ton splitter has at least 5HP engine, right? That requires at least 220V 50A circuit. If you don't already have that nearby that's a big expense...

I like the idea of electric splitter for a stationary setup...but it doesn't look like there is a big market for that so there aren't many choices.

I'll bet you can find a used gas splitter that will do a grtjob for what you need....or rent one. If you have space for the wood, do 4 cords at once and rent every other year.
Good suggestions.thanks to all
I forgot to mention that the firewood I get is already split, but most of it still needs to be split some more for my uses. I have a small wood stove for our small space plus some wood needs to be split down into kindling. I have damaged rotator cuffs, but I can still swing an axe but I don’t want to split with an axe too much or my rc’s will be hurting too much and risk getting worse. I won’t be splitting full sized logs very often, if at all, and those I could break down with a wedge and sledge if needed.
Renting has been considered but then I have to do it all in one go rather than space it out over days or weeks. Still a weekly rental in a gas powered splitter is only about 10-20% the cost of a new machine depending on make/model. ?
With that info, I'd get a cheap electric splitter.
Fellas ………..a motor is a motor. 

ac, gasoline, dc, diesel, solar powered, wind or water powered - it either has enough horsepower AND torque for the job needed -or- it doesn’t.  

The wood being split will not care what the power source is or how much it cost. 

Then there’s the man powered splitter which will be the quietest of all. Yes
(12-10-2023, 11:00 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: [ -> ]Fellas ………..a motor is a motor. 

ac, gasoline, dc, diesel, solar powered, wind or water powered - it either has enough horsepower AMD torque for the job needed -or- it doesn’t.  

The wood being split will not care what the power source is or how much it cost. 

Then there’s the man powered splitter which will be the quietest of all. Yes

As I mentioned before this "man-powered-splitter" has compromised rotator cuffs, so I'd like to not swing an axe too muchWinkgrin

Obviously - the tonnage of force is what it is and the wood don't care. But I was more concerned about overall quality and longevity and after digging through some information on-line, I turned here hoping to find others' experience on these things and the tonnage I might need for my uses. I was just a little remis to be clear on what those needs areSlap

Seems like an electric splitter is best suited for most of my needs.

thanks to all!
Pages: 1 2