Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Hanging Christmas Lights in Sheet Metal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello All,

SWMBO has requested that we hang Christmas Lights around our pool which is covered lanai (screen room surrounding pool).

Not our home but you get the idea - here is a screene enclosure around a pool:

[attachment=49097]

I want to hang the lights from a fastener that I can keep in place and use year after year. I know I would typically use sheet metal screws for this type of task but I wondered if there was something that was a better option. Also, with the sheet metal screws, I would need a screw that is about 1" as I would need about 1/2" proud so I could hang the lights. 

Maybe sheet metal screws and a clip to hold the lights?

Thanks, Bill
how about screw hooks?  Would take more time to hang the first time as you'd need to predrill holes, but then lights would be super easy.

Magnetic hooks?
Steel or aluminum "sheet metal"?

It will make a difference on what type of metal that the fasteners are.
(12-19-2023, 07:01 PM)JosephP Wrote: [ -> ]how about screw hooks?  Would take more time to hang the first time as you'd need to predrill holes, but then lights would be super easy.

Magnetic hooks?

Probably an aluminum structure.
I don't see any sheet metal in the pic. Possibly extruded aluminum?

1" self tapping, stainless truss head screw

Another possibility but you'll have to pre-drill
(12-20-2023, 07:43 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any sheet metal in the pic. Possibly extruded aluminum?

1" self tapping, stainless truss head screw

Another possibility but you'll have to pre-drill

Thanks for the replies all. The structure is made out of aluminium. I have used the self taping like the one below. They work fine as long you dont over tork them. I would have to rig up some type of hanger.
Use those screws with hooks like Snipe posted...or a similar hook that is a little more "open" so it's easier to slide the wire in and out.

Or predrill and use those.

Or predrill and use:
https://www.amazon.com/Cyful-100Pcs-Coat...B088WK6JNL
Outdoor rated 3M Command Strips are an alternative.
I'd use self tapping screws and a hook of some kind. Just don't over torque the screws and they will be fine. Or if you don't care about ever taking the hooks down, rivets.
[attachment=49107 Wrote:crokett™ pid='8163611' dateline='1703096122']I'd use self tapping screws and a hook of some kind. Just don't over torque the screws and they will be fine. Or if you don't care about ever taking the hooks down, rivets.

[attachment=49107]

I found these at Home Depot. They are made from aluminium as well so no issues with different metals.
Pages: 1 2