Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Japanese bowl turning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
and the end results are great.

The cutting tool is unique as well and would love to try one.
That roughing tool really rips through the wood, at any angle.
I have a bunch of really old Japanese lacquer bowls (early 18th cent.) and they are still true and round and no cracks. What’s interesting is the Japanese value the old beat up lacquer ware more than the new shiny stuff.
(02-01-2024, 11:14 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: [ -> ]and the end results are great.

The cutting tool is unique as well and would love to try one.

Cutting the rough-cut bowl blanks with that giant circular saw (and including gloves and long sleeves) is about the scariest thing I have seen in a while.  But the turning is amazing, all using the same j-shaped gouge.
Very impressive, thanks for posting!
(02-04-2024, 05:30 PM)GaryMc Wrote: [ -> ]Cutting the rough-cut bowl blanks with that giant circular saw (and including gloves and long sleeves) is about the scariest thing I have seen in a while.  But the turning is amazing, all using the same j-shaped gouge.

I thought of making one but will have to watch it several times to figure it out.  It is pretty nice watching how other countries do the same thing we do but with other tools and chucks or not even a chuck