Woodnet Forums

Full Version: negative rake scrapers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so, just playing around with a little tri-tipped bowl, and wanted to touch up the inside a bit.  have several scrapers and am aware of the techniques to use them on the inside of a bowl.  but, i was having some issues, so decided to give a negative rake a go, and am definitely glad i did.  got a 2-piece set from PSI, and reground both of them  --  very happy with the end results.  Yes
Never used one so far.
I picked one up from another woodturner's estate sale (local turning group connection). Still working on getting the sharpening down, esp. between the grinder versus a carbide honer, but I am really liking the NRS for the final smoothing cut.
(02-13-2024, 11:34 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: [ -> ]so, just playing around with a little tri-tipped bowl, and wanted to touch up the inside a bit.  have several scrapers and am aware of the techniques to use them on the inside of a bowl.  but, i was having some issues, so decided to give a negative rake a go, and am definitely glad i did.  got a 2-piece set from PSI, and reground both of them  --  very happy with the end results.  Yes

I'm a 'hack' turner.  I can make a nice bowl, and can turn spindles with a reasonable repeatability.  But I'm self taught, and videos of 'real' turners pretty well say I do it wrong.  Laugh
 [attachment=49843]

Whole lotta years back there was 'gathering' at a guy's business shop in Dallas.  Steve somebody.  Can't remember his last name.  I think Martin was there, and Mike Mastin.  I took my mini lathe and was happy to share with the newbies.  Larry Hancock was there... and he was a REAL turner.  I still get a little chuckle inside when I remember him gently 'taking over' to make sure nobody got hurt doings things my way. 

I can't even remember the name of the site that 'spawned'  Sawmill Creek for sure.  Was it Badger Pond?
(02-14-2024, 07:28 AM)KC Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a 'hack' turner.  I can make a nice bowl, and can turn spindles with a reasonable repeatability.  But I'm self taught, and videos of 'real' turners pretty well say I do it wrong.  Laugh

Whole lotta years back there was 'gathering' at a guy's business shop in Dallas.  Steve somebody.  Can't remember his last name.  I think Martin was there, and Mike Mastin.  I took my mini lathe and was happy to share with the newbies.  Larry Hancock was there... and he was a REAL turner.  I still get a little chuckle inside when I remember him gently 'taking over' to make sure nobody got hurt doings things my way

I can't even remember the name of the site that 'spawned'  Sawmill Creek for sure.  Was it Badger Pond?

ok, that's pretty funny . . . would probably happen to me too!  Laugh
(02-13-2024, 06:17 PM)grwold Wrote: [ -> ]I picked one up from another woodturner's estate sale (local turning group connection).  Still working on getting the sharpening down, esp. between the grinder versus a carbide honer, but I am really liking the NRS for the final smoothing cut.

greg!!  Big Grin

i didn't use any specific angles for mine, i just knew the basics of what i was shooting for.  just amazing how big a difference such a small thing makes.  Yes
(02-14-2024, 07:28 AM)KC Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a 'hack' turner.  I can make a nice bowl, and can turn spindles with a reasonable repeatability.  But I'm self taught, and videos of 'real' turners pretty well say I do it wrong.  Laugh

Whole lotta years back there was 'gathering' at a guy's business shop in Dallas.  Steve somebody.  Can't remember his last name.  I think Martin was there, and Mike Mastin.  I took my mini lathe and was happy to share with the newbies.  Larry Hancock was there... and he was a REAL turner.  I still get a little chuckle inside when I remember him gently 'taking over' to make sure nobody got hurt doings things my way. 

That is some really pretty wood there.