Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,393
» Latest member: truwelborn
» Forum threads: 64,763
» Forum posts: 1,002,439

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 360 online users.
» 12 Member(s) | 346 Guest(s)
Google, BrokenOlMarine, lincmercguy, jstrong, TomFromStLouis, MountainWood, Grandpa Dave, abernat, mynamenumber, camp10, barryvabeach

Latest Threads
Bridgewood tablesaw, info...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Marc
1 hour ago
» Replies: 8
» Views: 183
PM66, MM-16
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Rick LoDico
2 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 34
#7 for sale
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: tablesawtom
3 hours ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 378
Casting plane at home
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Bencuri
6 hours ago
» Views: 49
Interesting counterpoint ...
Last Post: C. in Indy
8 hours ago
» Views: 54
Lane Acclaim Table Build
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: MarkSingleton
10 hours ago
» Replies: 11
» Views: 282
Stanley #8 Blades & Tote ...
Last Post: Admiral
11 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 150
All you might want to kno...
Last Post: Timberwolf
Yesterday, 10:37 PM
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1,631
$$$ to clear land?
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Stwood_
Yesterday, 08:36 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 4,689
Trestle table and benches...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: Stwood_
Yesterday, 08:17 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 860

What color shellac flakes for sapele?
Posted by: Aram - 07-31-2020, 02:21 PM - Forum: Finishing - Replies (2)

I'm working on a small cabinet, mostly made from different sapele boards. My preference for this project is a simple shellac and wax finish. No dyes or stains, please. I'm not sure what color shellac flakes to get. You can get an idea of the various colors of the boards in my build-along thread. The tones range from fairly deep red-brown ribbon-stripe, to fairly light and unfigured, to medium brown with more figure (drawer fronts). 

Cabinet build

I'm low on shellac flakes anyway, so this is a good time to buy. I don't mind trying 2 or maybe 3 shellac colors on scraps, even if it means buying flakes I might not use. At the moment, i have a small supply of ultra blonde, dark garnet, orange/amber, and orange. 

Any best-guess suggestions? Again, I will be buying flakes and mixing my own.

Thanks,

Print this item

Box lot sale
Posted by: bandit571 - 07-31-2020, 01:29 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (11)

Bought a small cardboard box today....had a few items that may come in handy..

Lots of papers...

Just may save looking up sizes....price of this box?   $15..
But wait, there's more....

Might just come in handy?

Even a metric ruler....

And, something to find the size of a hole?

Not a bad day...
Rolleyes

Print this item

Old Tub Peeling
Posted by: tuneswoodshop - 07-31-2020, 08:33 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (3)

Hello,
I have currently been living in this home for approx 10 years now and when I purchased the home it has a second bathroom that they said the had the tub refinished when they remodeled the bathroom. The finish or "coating" if starting to flake off the floor of the tub and creates these razor sharp pieces. I currently just have the whole tub floor cover with shower matts but was looking for other suggestions. A remodel of the bathroom isnt in the budget so is there any product out there that would work good? I looking for a non slip way to seal in the finish until I have funds to redo the whole bathroom. Has anyone flex sealed the bottom of a tub before? Thanks

Print this item

SOLD: Even More Good Stuff: Knew Concepts Fret Saw w/Pegas Blades
Posted by: Philip1231 - 07-30-2020, 06:49 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

SOLD: Knew Concepts 5" Fret Saw with package of Pegas Swiss made blades: in like new/unused condition. $75 plus shipping, PayPal (fees to buyer).

Print this item

Wixey WR-550 DRO upgrade on 15HH planer
Posted by: Aram - 07-30-2020, 06:09 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (12)

Hi all,

I asked about depth readout for my planer in another thread, and ended up with the Wixey WR-550. I would say it looks like a great purchase, and for less money than I had expected.

I mounted it this way on my Powermatic 15HH. 
[Image: i-MgCspHD-M.jpg]

Installation was easy. Most of the time was spent decoding the so-called instructions. (The section on calibration was very clear, though). The kit comes with self-tapping screws. Not on my shift!

I drilled and tapped the side of the planer bed, and bolted the top to it securely.
[Image: i-NQw8Ks2-M.jpg]

On the bottom, through holes, bolts/washers/lock washers/nuts, through the sheet metal.

[Image: i-sqDbv7c-M.jpg]

The remote readout is very nice. It's not obvious from the photo, but it swivels up and down. I appreciate the display of fractions as well as the decimal value. By the way, this particular reading is from right after I calibrated it. The method is easy: you plane a piece of wood, stick it in between a couple of tabs on a moving part of the gauge, set zero, remove the wood, push the tabs together, press a button, and blammo. Instant calibration. Reading here says 0.405". My calipers had the wood at a couple thou less. Very nice.

[Image: i-6k5XZLM-M.jpg]

Just to check, I dialed in the planer to a bigger depth, planed a board, and checked the DRO reading against actual thickness. Similar accuracy as before. Looks good to me.

Print this item

Mid Century Modern plans?
Posted by: ToledoTom - 07-30-2020, 05:55 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (5)

I need to make new bedroom furniture and I’d like to go with a mid century modern style. Other than one book of “plans” (not very good ones) on Amazon, have any of you folks ever seen any plans available for this style of furniture? I need to make a queen bed, and then some side tables and then two chests of drawers. Thanks. Tom

Print this item

Replacing plantation shutter frames
Posted by: greatscott - 07-30-2020, 05:45 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (4)

Looking to change up the look of our trim in our house and the current frame/trim on our plantation shutter clashes with the look we are wanting to achieve (we're going for a craftsman trim and we have some sort of decorative trim on the frame currently).  I've reached out to a few shutter companies but they are not interested in just selling me just frames and I would make my own frames except the current shutter material is not wood (I'm guessing it's some sort of poly).  Any ideas on where I can purchase sticks of polywood shutter frame material?  I don't know if polywood is the right material - just whatever composite the shutters are made out of now-a-days.  I'll take any and all ideas at this point.

Print this item

What kind of wood is this
Posted by: Gary™ - 07-30-2020, 03:59 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (7)

I'm cutting blanks for 1911 grips and found this piece of scrap and made the top row of blanks from it.  Can the braintrust tell me what kind of wood it is?  Also in the pic is walnut, cherry and purple heart.

Print this item

Photo Hello and Projects
Posted by: AlistairD - 07-30-2020, 08:54 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (13)

Hello All.

Hope this post finds you safe and well where ever you are. I've been a long time lurker and non poster here but thought I'd say hello and share some projects knocked out during lockdown (we didn't have a proper lockdown here thankfully, but had a few solid months of home time only venturing out for food, toilet paper, and timber)

Hand tools mostly, with a little help from drill press, band saw, track saw and router when i have to.

Bedside table - Tassie oak outer, Tassie oak burl veneer to the drawer front, and pine drawer sides and back. Unfortunately my bed has two sides so I have to make another one.

Marking gauge made out of some scraps.

Compact thwacker made out of Karri roof tile batten offcuts

Headphone stand made out of meranti with black japan stain and hard wax oil finish

BBQ cart - painted treated pine and oiled merbau. 99% done just before lockdown

and currently on the workbench is a stool to accompany a dressing table I made a little while ago.

Print this item

Hardboard vs lauan ply
Posted by: DCottrell - 07-30-2020, 08:17 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (2)

I need to replace a panel on an accordion that was originally (ca 1950's) lauan ply with a layer of cellulose glued on.  The cellulose has warped with age/temperature and the warped panel impedes the action of the instrument. The panel is of the 1/4 inch or whatever metric equivalent thereof (it was made in Italy).  I will be flattening and re-gluing the celluose "veneer".   I am not sure sheet metal is an option as a piece thick enough to resist flexion under use would be too heavy for the application.

Does hardboard resist warping better than lauan ply? I would consider this if it is a better material.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.