Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,393
» Latest member: truwelborn
» Forum threads: 64,766
» Forum posts: 1,002,480

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 555 online users.
» 16 Member(s) | 537 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, jammer, Gary™, RobertNP, camp10, knight82, RandyO, goaliedad, med-one

Latest Threads
#7 for sale
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Snipe Hunter
Less than 1 minute ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 396
Casting plane at home
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: ajkoontz
28 minutes ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 87
Interesting counterpoint ...
Last Post: C. in Indy
2 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 116
Bridgewood tablesaw, info...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Marc
Yesterday, 06:56 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 240
PM66, MM-16
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Rick LoDico
Yesterday, 05:37 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 83
Lane Acclaim Table Build
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: MarkSingleton
Yesterday, 09:52 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 353
Stanley #8 Blades & Tote ...
Last Post: Admiral
Yesterday, 09:02 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 160
All you might want to kno...
Last Post: Timberwolf
03-27-2024, 10:37 PM
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1,650
$$$ to clear land?
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Stwood_
03-27-2024, 08:36 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 4,729
Trestle table and benches...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: Stwood_
03-27-2024, 08:17 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 880

Ridiculous suggestions
Posted by: Pirate - 06-03-2020, 02:10 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (22)

How about ridiculous suggestions you have read about power tools?
Someone asked in another forum.
Question. What brand blades should I buy for my saw?
Answer. Go with blades made by the same manufacturer that made the saw.
Ah, no thanks.

Print this item

SAWSTOP: Tripped the Brake Cartridge: UPDATE
Posted by: Philip1231 - 06-03-2020, 01:57 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (26)

I was enjoying a good day in the shop when all of a sudden: wham!

Sorry, no blood and gore: I did not come close to coming in contact with the blade. At this point, my theory is
that the aluminum fence on my miter gauge came in contact with the throat plate. That would not normally be an issue, but
I had just adjusted the blade to make a 45 degree cut, and the blade was in "slight" contact with the plate.  I know I should have been more diligent and made the necessary adjustments to make sure the blade cleared the plate, but unfortunately, I did not.

At the end of the day:

$92.64 for a replacement Freud Fusion Blade

$84.02 for a new brake cartridge

$176.66 for a lesson in establishing conduction paths between the operator and the blade.

The good news:  I was able to type this with all 10 fingers intact.

Print this item

Help identify this plane
Posted by: briman87 - 06-03-2020, 08:06 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (13)

I recently bought this plane along with a no. 5 1/4. Both are in a little rough shape but plan on restoring them the best I can to be users in the shop. I’m not sure of the manufacturer as it has not distinguishing makers marks. It has a Stanley sweet heart blade on it so I know that isn’t original to the plane. I’m thinking it is older because it has no frog adjustment screw but has lateral adjustment. And info you guys can provide would be great

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Impact wrench
Posted by: BrokenOlMarine - 06-02-2020, 08:13 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (19)

At my daughter's in OK, and the gear box on the used bush hog was loose.  The 15/16 deepwell sockets coupled with a breaker bar and a pipe for extra leverage wouldnt break the rusted bolts loose to replace them.  A friend of my daughter's came over with compressor and impact... Boom... Broke them loose.  New bolts.  Job done.

We will have the tractor and half dozen implements.  Any recommendations on a pneumatic impact wrench of "decent" quality to have handy on the farm.  1/2" drive. ..

Print this item

Graduation Card Box
Posted by: Scrambler48 - 06-02-2020, 01:48 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (4)

Does anyone have any ideas, photos or plans for a card box? My son graduates this year and it is tradition here in WI to build a card box for graduation cards that are received at the party.

Print this item

Need help painting house
Posted by: Randy C - 06-02-2020, 11:41 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (6)

Finally started painting my house. It is hardie plank and hardie shake. When I originally painted the house 8 years ago with a brush, it took forever to paint the shake. Sounds crazy but I actually had to use an artist brush to get paint into all the cracks.

I would like to try to spray the shakes to hopefully save time. I will paint the lap and trim with a brush. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a spray rig since this is a one time use for me.

Does anyone know if any of the sprayers at Harbor Freight would do OK for this job. Or any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

wine glass holder
Posted by: Cooler - 06-02-2020, 09:55 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (8)

Has anyone used flooring transition T-molding to hang wine glasses?  An 8' length is $26.00 from Home Depot.  Two 3 foot sections of actual wine rack T-molding costs $27.00 from Amazon.com.

Or is there an easy way to mill this?  I cannot picture an easy way to make the real McCoy.

This is the real McCoy:

[Image: rogr3.jpg]

Here is a project (looks like a nice gift):

[Image: 24122_1.jpg]

Here is flooring t-molding:

[Image: zamma-wood-moulding-trim-014006022612-64_1000.jpg]

Ideally there is a way to make this on the table saw or with my router or router table.  I just can't figure a safe way to make this.

Print this item

Whole house fan -- belt or direct drive?
Posted by: Wild Turkey - 06-02-2020, 09:43 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (16)

LOML wants a whole-house fan for those days when it's very pleasant outside but no wind -- we have quite a few days like that -- or when Fescue cooks something and fills house with smoke or pepper fog
Rolleyes

I'm having a hard time choosing between direct and belt drive.  Belt drives will eventually need maintainence but I'm afraid a direct drive will burn out the motor.

Anyone with much experience?
Confused
Confused

Print this item

FS - Tormek SVH-320 Blade Jig
Posted by: Oldwood2409 - 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

[attachment=27375]
For sale is a new, unused Tormek SVH-320 jointer/planer blade sharpening jig.  I have moved to helical heads on planer and jointer, thus no longer needed

Looking for $105 delivered to your door

ITEM HAS SOLD

Print this item

VGDF Blotchy with stain
Posted by: lift mechanic - 06-02-2020, 02:11 AM - Forum: Finishing - Replies (6)

I am getting ready to build 3 screen doors for the house. I am using Vertical Grain Douglas fir. I tested staining the fir with an cedar colored oil stain. The color is ok but it is blotchy.
What can I do to even out the color absorb. I am trying to get the VGDF to look some what like cedar. I can not find clear cedar around here and have plenty of the dug fir.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.