Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,393
» Latest member: truwelborn
» Forum threads: 64,758
» Forum posts: 1,002,347

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 347 online users.
» 19 Member(s) | 326 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, DickA, fixtureman, ajkoontz, Rick_B, JIMB49, brofessor, RandyO, bcpine, fredp, tablesawtom

Latest Threads
Stanley #8 Blades & Tote ...
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: C. in Indy
1 hour ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 107
#7 for sale
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Pedder
6 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 329
All you might want to kno...
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Timberwolf
9 hours ago
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1,596
$$$ to clear land?
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Stwood_
11 hours ago
» Replies: 23
» Views: 4,637
Bridgewood tablesaw, info...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
11 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 82
Trestle table and benches...
Forum: Woodworking
11 hours ago
» Replies: 10
» Views: 810
Early WoodNet, still more...
11 hours ago
» Replies: 203
» Views: 96,794
Miscellaneous wood and mo...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Bob10
Yesterday, 07:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 42
Lane Acclaim Table Build
Last Post: KC
Yesterday, 04:33 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 222
Used Tool pricing is inte...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: EvilTwin
Yesterday, 04:27 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 786

gouge in routed profile
Posted by: anwalt - 04-16-2020, 08:11 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (11)

I have done it again !

Making a hard maple table with breadboard ends.  

Making a gentle round over with a portion of a large (1 in radius) bit.  

The bearing was above the table top.  spacing was maintained by the upstream router fence, UNTIL the breadboard end entered the bit opening for the fence.  I realized in advance that there was a risk of that happing, but thought I could hold the top against the downstream portion of the fence.  I was wrong.  I was unable to keep the top in position on the down stream fence.  The top entered the gap, and the bit dug too deep, leaving the gouge.  

So that is the problem, a profile gouge in end grain of hard maple.  

I am thinking that no wood putty product will stick to the end grain.  My thought is to make a couple drill holes to provide anchorage using fiberglass - polyester/styrene, or epoxy.  Possibly pack some router shavings in polymer so that it may be stained. 

Area around the gouge could be protected with masking tape.  

If gouge area is turned vertical, or turned to the top, then the polymer will run out, and down, creating another issue.  

My thought is to put some polymer into the drilled holes, which will run out of the center of the hole but I hope will stick to the wall of the drilled holes.   
Then rest the profile divot in a cove molding while it hardens.  Sand to match the profile.   Done!

Comments?  Suggestions?  

All suggestions and ideas entertained, with thanks.  

tom

Print this item

Weird plumbing problem
Posted by: Howard Pollack - 04-16-2020, 02:47 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (23)

Every once in a while the water in the toilet, and now the bathroom sink, comes in brown.  If you flush the toilet a couple of times  or run the sink the water comes through clear.  Does anyone know what might be causing this?  Thank you.  -Howard

Print this item

grout problems / need advice
Posted by: mlincoln - 04-16-2020, 12:09 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (12)

Hello, we're having a problem and I need some advice, please.  Had a bathroom redone.  We used a well-recommended contractor and his crew seemed to do a good job except for the grout.  We wanted black and they did white instead.  When we raised the issue, the fellow apologized and had his crew take out the white and do black.  Looked much better after that.  He told us to wait a couple days before using the shower.  We did.

When we took the first shower, the grout started running like mascara.  As the water hit it, black stuff ran off and down the white tiles.  My wife cleaned it up with paper towels and we took some pictures.

We contacted the contractor and he contacted the place he'd purchased the grout from and the tile place said it is a bad batch of grout.  He said that applying a sealer would fix the problem and said he'd do so.  I do not know if he applied a sealer before, but to my understanding that's a standard part of the job.  

I went up and looked things over and rubbed my finger along the grout lines.  When I do, my finger comes away with a dark smudge on it.  

We paid a lot for this bathroom (small bathroom, new CI tub, granite counter top, tile on floor and in shower, new vanity and fixtures, $22,000) and I am worried about the long term durability of a sealer.  The walls are in 6"X4" tile, but the floor is in a basket-weave pattern that to my thinking makes applying sealer very difficult.  I have no idea how he's going to apply sealer under the vanity with its newly installed granite counter top.  Doing so would require ripping off the granite counter top and ripping up the walls to get the vanity out of the way and apply the sealer.

So, is a sealer going to stop the running and provide a durable surface that can stand up to cleaning and use and that will give me 20-30 years of performance?  We clean the bathroom with the usual cleaners, and I'm worried that a weekly cleaning would strip off the sealer in a few years.  I'm also worried about the long-term stability of the tiled floor and walls if the grout fails.  What do you suggest going forward?  

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Print this item

Identifying these moulding planes
Posted by: levinll - 04-16-2020, 10:41 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (2)

I've read somewhere that owners of these vintage planes would put their own names on them, which appears to be the case with these two.

My question (and i apologize for my ignorance because I know nothing about woodworking) is can these be identified by their maker ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44682750@N...res/h4282h
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44682750@N...res/9w6AQN
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44682750@N...res/Yc659V
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44682750@N...res/o205vu
[email=https://www.flickr.com/photos/44682750@N00/shares/7tty77]https://www.flickr.com/photos/44682750@N00/shares/7tty77[/email]

Print this item

Need help calculating proper miter angle
Posted by: alsaulys - 04-16-2020, 08:59 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (4)

While under quarantine during the pandemic, I’d like to take some time to build wayside chapel pillar in the style of those in my parents’ Lithuanian homeland as a sort of a memorial to the event. I’ve attached some sample pictures to give you an idea of what I am talking about. I could use some advice on one part of the project—that is determining the proper angle to use to miter the roof panels. As you can see from the attached pictures what I am trying to do is construct a hip roof with 4 equal sides that come together like a pyramid—just unsure how to calculate the angles of the miters to make this happen. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Sump Pump Reco's
Posted by: brnhornt - 04-16-2020, 08:48 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (13)

Hey gang,

Last night I head into the basement shop area and smell a little funk.  Look over and I see a wet ring around my sump basin.  Thankfully it wasn't a lot of water...but the basin was 90% full and the pump wasn't running.  I jiggled the discharge pipe (and thus the pump) and it came to life and cleared the basin in 10 seconds.  It was only a week ago that I was in the basement and heard it click on, pump, and then off by itself so this is a new development.

Anything that I can/should do to this existing one?  Or, follow my heart and say any kind of failure like this and just replace the darn thing?

If the later, what's the most recommended pump out there?

Thanks for any input!
Kevin

Print this item

Extra Long Work Bench
Posted by: petertay15 - 04-16-2020, 07:48 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (2)

This is the St Charles (Illinois) piano factory, c. 1910. The crosscut saw on the bench looks out of place in this room.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Freud 8" Dial-a-Width dado SD608 NEW $130 shipped
Posted by: alanealane - 04-15-2020, 11:57 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (6)

This is a brand new set that I've had a long time in my dusty shop but never used. PayPal (standard NOT f&f) preferred but money order is ok too. I'm asking $50 $100 less than the cheapest price I can find on ebay. Shipping to continental usa only. Thanks!

Print this item

linear propane fireplace
Posted by: Wild Turkey - 04-15-2020, 07:37 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (3)

We are shopping for a linear fireplace for our new house -- it will go in "great room" as accent and back-up room heat.

More I look the more confused I get ( but I'm still coming off the meds 
Rolleyes ) {also does not help that every list of features seems to include different features in the list and often leave out the BTU's, etc that is critical information}

Anyone have any experience with them?  

(also posted in OT)

Thanks for any help!

Print this item

Sitting Bench from old wood
Posted by: dejongs - 04-15-2020, 07:24 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (8)

Being on work from home/stay at home had some time for some wife hinted projects.
4 feet long 18" deep, 18" high
Majority of the wood is recycled from baseboard trim, windows trim salvaged from houses built in the 20s, legs from barn wood.
Striping the paint from the side boards was a real pain(two boards glued together), I ended up only striping three boards not knowing initially what I was going to do with them.
Finished with Old Masters Provincial wiping stain, finished with oil based statin poly.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.