Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,399
» Latest member: kdmerkle@yahoo.com
» Forum threads: 64,911
» Forum posts: 1,004,876

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 119 online users.
» 8 Member(s) | 108 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Facebook, 6270_Productions, jstrong, Tim in Indiana, bandit571, stogssm

Latest Threads
Made some router dust tod...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Stwood_
34 minutes ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 39
Battery Powered Chainsaw
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Stwood_
1 hour ago
» Replies: 36
» Views: 1,109
Used Tool pricing is inte...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: jteneyck
2 hours ago
» Replies: 28
» Views: 1,695
Edge planing technique is...
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: barryvabeach
4 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 157
A case to store a few chi...
Last Post: bandit571
4 hours ago
» Replies: 15
» Views: 485
Melbourne Tool Company
Last Post: Tony Z
5 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 249
Wood choice for replaceme...
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: FrankAtl
6 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 138
Freud SD608 8'' Dial-A-Wi...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: joelk4032
9 hours ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 340
Big table top!
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: jteneyck
9 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 193
Repairing damaged finish
Forum: Finishing
Last Post: goaliedad
10 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 81

Cutting top off of dovetail box
Posted by: Aram - 09-04-2019, 02:50 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (20)

Maybe this belongs in power tools, but I think the hand tools crowd will have the edge. You know the technique where you make a 6-sided box, then saw the top off? If you have done this on a bandsaw, how did you do it? One cut? Cut in from each each? A different method?

I'm sure if I get reasonably flat and even cuts, I can true up the top and bottom with hand planes. I've never tried this method, not sure the best way to get an even cut all the way through. 

Thanks in advance.

Print this item

Genius Hack of the Century
Posted by: cputnam - 09-04-2019, 02:17 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (38)

My vote goes to Derek's Blue Tape Trick

With failing vision, the increased contrast makes it much easier to the cut line, especially in dark woods. Works equally well for power and hand. Ut's tough to cut to the line when you cannot see the line.

Print this item

paint prep
Posted by: p_leyden - 09-04-2019, 10:27 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (3)

Latex painted surfaces on trim end up with bare spots when subjected to wear. How do you sand these surfaces to level them out, feathering out edges. Any hi-speed sanders will heat the paint uracymaking the surface condition worse. Stripping the paint is absolutely not an option.
Upset

Print this item

Knew Concepts, Mark 3 fret saw for sale SOLD
Posted by: Mike Brady - 09-04-2019, 10:11 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

Selling a Knew Concepts Mk 3 fret saw in like-new condition. This is the popular 5-inch model in red anodized aluminum, with unfinished wood handle.  Blade rotates 45 degrees up or down.  This is an excellent saw for removing dovetail waste.  Comes with a new no. 5 skip-tooth blade for that purpose.  $75. Shipped.  PayPal preferred.  First PM gets it.

https://i.postimg.cc/0QrGGM0G/IMG-0436.jpg

Print this item

Dewalt Trim Router Edge Guide Needed
Posted by: cputnam - 09-03-2019, 09:15 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (6)

I have the dual base Dewalt trim router for which I would like to get an edge guide. The motor is DWP611 and the plunge base (which has the guide rod holes) is DWP611PK. Anyone know the correct edge guide part # for the plunge base? I do not need or want to spend the money on a Micro-Fence setup. I just do not do that much routing.

Thanks for your thoughts and leads

Print this item

Armstrong Peel & Stick Vinyl
Posted by: Halfathumb - 09-03-2019, 06:45 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (6)

I'm getting ready to remove laminate flooring on a plywood sub floor that was painted (21 years ago). I'll be replacing this with the above product. If the painted floor is still in great shape, should I remove the paint anyway?

Print this item

Woodsmith tip - Is this an early april fool's joke?
Posted by: Handplanesandmore - 09-03-2019, 05:38 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (3)

In the latest issue of WS (p. 9), one published tip tells you to bolt a T-track to the miter saw fence (front face) and use it with a sliding stop as a stop block. I have seen my share of impractical tips in various magazines, but this one earns one of the top three spots in that category.

Such an add-on to the fence would reduce as much as half of the cutting capacity of your miter saw.

Totally unbelievable that it would appear on the pages of WS. You will have to see it yourself to believe it.

Simon

Print this item

Boeshield...Who knew?
Posted by: Bill Holt - 09-03-2019, 04:47 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (8)

I am one who never perspires.  I simply go from calm straight to dripping sweat.  The TS gets the brunt of it and of course I don't always get all of it wiped up.  Today it is only 95 in the shop so it's a good day to clean the cast iron.

Boeshield Stain and Rust Remover with a green pad did a quick job on the rust and stains...but...this time the Boeshield created its own stains.  The bottle is more than ten years old and I ran out.  So does Boeshield have a shelf life of less than 10 yrs?

The ROS with 150 through 600 grit removed the Boeshield stains. The top is slicker than snot and protected with Boeshield 9 but that took more than an hour than it should have.  I know there are those who do not like Boeshield so I was wondering if they had similar experiences?

Print this item

Do you use a file in your dovetail work?
Posted by: Handplanesandmore - 09-03-2019, 11:41 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (25)

The latest Fine Woodworking issue has a reader's tip on using a file to fine fit the dovetail joint. Is a file part of your dovetail kit too?

Simon

Print this item

JET bar clamps
Posted by: vapochilled - 09-03-2019, 11:26 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

Will add pictures but all are in perfect condition

2x40"
2x50"
6x24"
4x31" (Two JETs/Two Bessy)

Would  prefer local pickup in the Allentown PA area but can ship on your dime but I'm sure shipping would be a lot.

Looking for $450 for all

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.