Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,393
» Latest member: truwelborn
» Forum threads: 64,761
» Forum posts: 1,002,400

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 345 online users.
» 14 Member(s) | 329 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, woodguy_1, jstrong, trc65, Zack Butler, CARYinWA, Michael A. T., bwlarson_ca, TFM, SceneryMaker

Latest Threads
Bridgewood tablesaw, info...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Brian in sunny FL
58 minutes ago
» Replies: 5
» Views: 142
Casting plane at home
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Bencuri
1 hour ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 14
Interesting counterpoint ...
Last Post: C. in Indy
3 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 24
Lane Acclaim Table Build
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: MarkSingleton
5 hours ago
» Replies: 11
» Views: 263
Stanley #8 Blades & Tote ...
Last Post: Admiral
5 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 141
#7 for sale
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Pedder
Today, 01:27 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 359
All you might want to kno...
Last Post: Timberwolf
Yesterday, 10:37 PM
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1,624
$$$ to clear land?
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Stwood_
Yesterday, 08:36 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 4,673
Trestle table and benches...
Yesterday, 08:17 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 843
Early WoodNet, still more...
Yesterday, 08:13 PM
» Replies: 203
» Views: 96,856

Designing a Wheelchair Tray
Posted by: paulmon - 03-09-2019, 08:02 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (4)

Listening to what the user wants in a project is paramount to a successful project.

Print this item

Home air filters (not shop)
Posted by: Cecil - 03-09-2019, 07:33 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (6)

I have a forced air furnace, and the dust it terrible.  Adding a hepa filter to the furnace, in my opinion, reduces the airflow and thus heating efficiency.  Therefore I believe I will buy room hepa filters.  What does the brain trust say?

Print this item

Portable vs Minisplit
Posted by: Cecil - 03-09-2019, 07:28 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (9)

I am thinking off adding some air conditioning to an existing home.  I believe I would have to rip open walls and ceilings to run the plumbing for a mini-split.  Therefore I am thinking of using portable air conditioners.  Being in the north, I only need air conditioning a few days out of the year.  I put a window air conditioner in one bedroom.  I believe I will put in a couple of portable air conditioners, with "dryer" style vents to the outside.  I believe that looks better than something hanging out the window.  Besides, I put auxiliary heat in two rooms, and I could get a two combo units. 

I don't believe I will do the whole house, just the bedrooms and one room in the living area.

Print this item

Photo Sheffield Steel Dovetail and Tenon Saws
Posted by: gregbois - 03-08-2019, 07:41 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

Two saws made by E.T. Roberts & Lee of London, England.  These saws were purchased years ago in a class with Ian Kirby -- and were especially imported by Kirby for his students.  I'm asking $35.00 each plus shipping.

First is the dovetail saw, the No. 252 "Majestic," brass backed, 8 inch blade with 20 tpi and a 2 inch depth of blade.  The saw plate is true and flat but does show some signs of smudges that I believe can easily be cleaned.  The handle is beech, I believe, and is overall in very good shape though it does show signs of use and rubbing away of the original finish.  Overall, the saw is tight, no missing or damaged teeth.  Might need sharpening.  Has the original paper sleeve case.

Second is the tenon saw, "Parkstone," brass backed, 12 inch blade with 13 tpi.  Like its companion saw, the plate is true and flat with similar signs of smudges that I think can be cleaned.  Again, a beech handle, I believe.  The saw is in overall good shape with signs of use, slight wear of the finish on the handle in particular.  Also might need sharpening.  Has the original paper sleeve case.

I prefer to ship USPS Flat Rate Priority boxes.  I assume either saw will fit into a medium flat rate box.  If someone wants both, I'm happy to find the least expensive way to ship together in one package.

Print this item

Has anyone heard from Mtobey lately??
Posted by: Arlin Eastman - 03-08-2019, 06:43 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (5)

Back in Jan he told me for sure he was sending the Stanley 45 and I have not heard from him.  To me that is very unusual since he does what he says right away so that makes me concerned and praying health is not the cause.

Print this item

Veritas Hold-Down: On Steroids
Posted by: Philip1231 - 03-08-2019, 05:15 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (24)

The Veritas hold-down has been a great addition to my bench.  There have been times however when I wished I could apply more torque than was comfortably possible with the brass knob alone. Solution: a 1-3/4" service wrench:  lets you crank down as much as you need to to positively hold work.  $18 and change on ebay (brand new).  

[Image: s-l400.jpg]

[Image: 05g1401s2.jpg]

Print this item

Using other persons tools. Warning!
Posted by: Pirate - 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (35)

Scary story. Contractor, husband of a person I know, was on a home job, and needed to make a cut with his chop saw, and on his way to his truck, another worker said to use his. At first he said no. (has a rule to only use his own tools)  then gave in. Holding the board with his left hand, as he went to make the cut, and the guard came up, a nut, or bolt (can't remember which) shot out and into his thumb!
20+ stitches!
The part that bothers me most, other than the injury, is the owner, said, something to the effect of, I meant to tighten that screw!
Good reason not to borrow or lend tools. You never can tell.

Print this item

Question on Arm-R-Seal
Posted by: fptahoe - 03-08-2019, 12:07 PM - Forum: Finishing - Replies (9)

I have just completed building and finishing a hard maple table for my daughter.  I have used multiple coats of Arm-R-Seal (no stain) and it came out well.  When I rub my hand over it, I can still feel some "nubs" in the finish, however.  My options at this point are to leave it alone as it looks good, or I am tempted to wet sand lightly with 1000 grit paper.  Any comments or suggestions?  Will the wet sanding change the appearance at all or just smooth it?  As always, any comments are very appreciated.

Print this item

Add filter to mini split?
Posted by: JDuke - 03-08-2019, 08:52 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (4)

I’m going to heat and cool my new 1800sq ft shop with 14 foot sidewalls and spray foam insulation.

I’m on the fence between a DIY mini split and a ducted standard unit, but I’m leaning toward mini split due to cost and self installation.

I’d like to add some air filter capability to it and know that I shouldn’t restrict air flow.

I’m mulling several options over.

1: is a box with a hvac squirrel cage fan pulling air through filters blowing air out the other side, so essentially adding a quasi duct system to it.

2: use the same squirrel cage fan to blow filtered air at the front of indoor split unit, this would allow it to run without restrictions when the extra air flow isn’t running such as low dust times.

3: just vacuum out the split unit filter

Duke

Print this item

Koyamaichi Dovetail Chisels -SOLD
Posted by: John S in VA - 03-07-2019, 12:50 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (6)

Up for your consideration is a set of Koyamaichi dovetail chisels, sizes 3,6,9,12,18,24mm. I bought them new as a set from Lee Valley and they haven't been getting much use recently as I find myself reaching for other general purpose chisels for most everything. That looks to be a bit of finish on the 18mm that I didn't notice while taking the photos. Can confirm later. I peeled the labels off the 6mm and 9mm. Since those were the ones I did the most paring with the edges started pulling up and became annoying. Pics below:

Update:
When investigating the mystery blob on the 18mm chisel (it's finish) I noticed the following -

It obviously didn't get sent to me like this. The only think I can think of is I was using the 18 to chop a bunch of waste for a mess of dovetails I did for a chest on chest a while back. I would chop a set and touch it up on the worksharp strop wheel. I went back to my setup and sure enough the easiest way to hold the back against the wheel places the neck in contact with the wheel also.

Careless on my part. No affect on function but it's obviously a significant apology. Asking price has been lowered accordingly to SOLD shipped.

Thank you for your consideration.
John S.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.