Woodnet Forums
Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits (/showthread.php?tid=6937102)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockeks that take the bits - Stwood_ - 03-26-2018

(09-23-2015, 11:42 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Jack

We both know your machine shop at 14 was a stone quarry.  

Arlin

Laugh
Brother to Fred Flintstone?

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockeks that take the bits - Timberwolf - 03-26-2018

(03-26-2018, 03:37 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Hope this still helps and good info

Stone Quarry Huh ?????
Rolleyes
Laugh

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockeks that take the bits - Arlin Eastman - 03-27-2018

(03-26-2018, 09:17 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,
Stone Quarry Huh ?????
Rolleyes  
Laugh

OK Dad I am not going to have to go to the wood shed when I get home am I.
Winkgrin

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits - crokett™ - 03-27-2018

Interesting idea. Can you use a draw bar with those? I find I need a draw bar with my jacobs chuck.

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits - Arlin Eastman - 03-27-2018

I only have had to use the bar once out of several hundred times.

I have MT2 bits, MT1 bits, and MT3 bits and I have one MT1 sleeve and one MT3 sleeve.  You can get up to MT5 but the bits are upwards of $50 and I can not see paying out that much for wood working.

All the ends have to be MT2 unless you have a Big Oneway and it is already a MT3 so you would need that size sleeve.

I have small MT1 bits starting at .5" and will get some smaller ones in the future since I like how long the bit is and that it sits solid in the sleeves or quill.

For sleeves I have the MT1 and MT3 of which the MT3 bits go up to 1.5" or maybe a little bigger I do not remember.

I also use them as a Jamb chuck on my Weed Pots.  I drill down to within 1.5" of my desired depth and remove the shavings.  When I drill the rest of the way in I turn off the lathe and remove the weed pot from the chuck while the bit is still in it and the tail stock.  I remove the chuck and then knock out the bit from the quill and put it in the headstock and I can finish up the bottom.  Makes a really good jam chuck and keeps it perfectly centered since it was drilled that way and makes it so nice to clean up the bottom.

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits - Arlin Eastman - 04-17-2018

I forgot to add the MT bits link.  Make sure you click the page numbers to get the size you wish.

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/14388/#product_listing=%3Fcurrent_page%3D1%26results_per_page%3D20%26order_by%3D%26search_params%3D

I also found that his MT2 to MT2 or 2 to 2 MT will really extend the bit to drill up to 12" long

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/14158/

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits - Pirate - 05-22-2018

Is there an advantage to use MT bits, as opposed to std. bits in a Chuck?

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits - Arlin Eastman - 05-22-2018

A few things to me there is anyway.

One is they are longer and I use them for week pots and starting holes.  They other thing is I know that it is centered when it comes out of the quill of which a Jacobs chucks might be just a little off.  One other thing I can remove and replace them faster and I do not have to look for the key to the Jacobs chuck. 
Also when I do the weed pots I just reverse the bit and put it in the head stock and finish off the bottom.

RE: Drill Bits and Morse taper sockets that take the bits - Timberwolf - 05-23-2018

(05-22-2018, 12:20 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: A few things to me there is anyway.

One is they are longer and I use them for week pots and starting holes.  They other thing is I know that it is centered when it comes out of the quill of which a Jacobs chucks might be just a little off.  One other thing I can remove and replace them faster and I do not have to look for the key to the Jacobs chuck. 
Also when I do the weed pots I just reverse the bit and put it in the head stock and finish off the bottom.
" They other thing is I know that it is centered when it comes out of the quill of which a Jacobs chucks might be just a little off. "

Yes Almost guaranteed...IMO...