Woodnet Forums
Show us what you have made - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Show us what you have made (/showthread.php?tid=7375918)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Show us what you have made - Timberwolf - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 01:00 PM)enjuneer Wrote: I've started to make these flush cut saws. The 0.020" thick spring steel blade is sharpened for a pull cut on both edges, with teeth set in only one direction to prevent scratching of the wood surface. 

This one shown in the photos is the prototype. It has a figured walnut handle and brass split nut fasteners.

After a warm reception from customers, I made some refinements to the design and ordered enough material to make fifty more. The first few will have quartersawn walnut handles. I haven't decided on the wood for the rest, but have a number of species to pull from.

If you are interested in one, send a message through the contact form on the Loon Lake Tool Works website.

sweet !!!

RE: Show us what you have made - Nordic - 05-29-2024

(05-27-2024, 06:29 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: That looks terrific. I've e been trying to get my wife to think about letting me build some small storage cabinets for our kitchen, but she's stuck in the original configuration. Still working on it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Tips?  Not much, I'm afraid...

Hopefully you married up.  I did!  
Big Grin  That makes it easier.

There was just a little bit of room where i put these, like I mentioned it was where we used to have a wine fridge.   Those never seem to last, I've given up on them.  Originally the spot was designed as a spot for a small table for the land line phone and answering machine, when those were still a thing.  Making the lower free-standing instead of a built-in unit means it can be moved and used elsewhere if needed.   It's only 6-8 screws holding the upper in place, easy to remove also.

20 years ago was the best time to buy the wood.  This would probably have cost me about $400-$500 at today's prices, instead of the $100 it did.  I ended up having to buy 1 sheet of 3/4" birch plywood for the shelves and misc. parts.  I was lucky to still have some 1/4" hickory ply left over and 5 or 6 hickory boards left from the original build also.   

The two doors on the upper cabinet I actually made 20 years ago - and found I'd read the wrong side of the tape and made them too narrow for the cabinet(s) they were originally meant for.  They've been sitting on top of the hickory pile since then.  I made this upper cabinet to fit them.

RE: Show us what you have made - bandit571 - 06-01-2024

Sitting here. awaiting the top coats..
[attachment=51397]
Ash on the outside, Pine insides..

RE: Show us what you have made - Derek Cohen - 06-04-2024

As a departure from the furniture I usually post, a few tools made in the past 18 months ...

Dovetail saw - 17 tpi, 5 degrees rake, Fiddleback Jarrah handle ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

A 15-degree bed, block plane-sized BU smoother for the tiny sections. Just a wonderful user ...

[Image: 7.jpg]

Plane hammer ...

[Image: Hammer6.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Show us what you have made - Hank Knight - 06-04-2024

(06-04-2024, 09:34 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: As a departure from the furniture I usually post, a few tools made in the past 18 months ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Beautiful tools Derek.

RE: Show us what you have made - Pedder - 06-05-2024

Wow Derek,

all the tools are beautiful, but the plane is unique and wonderful!

(06-04-2024, 09:34 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: A 15-degree bed, block plane-sized BU smoother for the tiny sections. Just a wonderful user ...

I love the lines

Cheers
Pedder

RE: Show us what you have made - Tapper - 06-05-2024

(06-04-2024, 09:34 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: As a departure from the furniture I usually post, a few tools made in the past 18 months ...

Dovetail saw - 17 tpi, 5 degrees rake, Fiddleback Jarrah handle ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

A 15-degree bed, block plane-sized BU smoother for the tiny sections. Just a wonderful user ...

Plane hammer ...

[Image: Hammer6.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

Again, lovely work as usual! BTW, did you also do all the metal work on those tools?

Doug

RE: Show us what you have made - Derek Cohen - 06-06-2024

Hi Doug

I do what metal work I can (brass sides for a plane is straight forward when it is soldered and not dovetailed). Some is not worth doing (I purchased the saw back, but I could make it if needed). And re-purpose what can be re-purposed (the hammer an old one and reshaped at one end and a Delrin cap added).

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Show us what you have made - bandit571 - 06-06-2024

Awaiting a trip up the stairs..as soon as I can re-arrange the bedroom...we have a plan that MIGHT work...whether the Boss approves, or not..
[attachment=51443]
Standing 42-1/2" tall...27" wide at the Top..and 19" deep, counting the overhang in front..

And...THIS is still out on the back porch Patio..
[attachment=51444]
Just a 2-seater...

RE: Show us what you have made - Timberwolf - 06-06-2024

(06-06-2024, 12:04 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Awaiting a trip up the stairs..as soon as I can re-arrange the bedroom...we have a plan that MIGHT work...whether the Boss approves, or not..

Standing 42-1/2" tall...27" wide at the Top..and 19" deep, counting the overhang in front..

And...THIS is still out on the back porch Patio..

Just a 2-seater...
Marking gages... dovetail template
[Image: 5-C64170-E-D48-D-4-AD3-8-D32-B6-E192-D16-BF3.jpg]