Woodnet Forums
Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along (/showthread.php?tid=5370722)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - dublittle - 05-05-2011

When making your feature strip, I recommend you make the pine strip 5/8 inch on the bead side since about 1/8 will be hidden by the cove. This will make them appear the same width when stripped.

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Gary™ - 05-05-2011

Why 5/8"? I figure it's 7/32" wide

The beaded side should be 1/8" (visible) + 3/32" (my cove depth) = 7/32" wide. 5/8 is way wider than that?

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - dublittle - 05-06-2011

I got careless and read your pine strip as 1/4 not 1/8 and went nuts from there. What I should have said was make your bead side wider to account for the depth of the cove and make the exposed pine equal. Sorry.

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Gary™ - 05-08-2011

Making progress on the feature strip; next time I'll go for a simpler feature strip without so many glue ups.  You can see the double diamond taking shape.  I'm going to let the glue ups cure a day before hitting the drum sander.  After that I can rip them into strips and join the halves together to make a full diamond shape.  

[attachment=3259]

I hand planed the pine accent strip close to the final width; the router table will complete that later.  Did I say lots of hand planing; I love the sound a sharp plane makes.

[attachment=3262]

[attachment=3261]

And yes it's crooked but that will not hurt anything.

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Gary™ - 05-08-2011

I'd like you guys to feel free to suggest ways I can improve this thread; I'm trying to include enough details/pics to keep it interesting but not too many that it's boring.

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - 32ojdidit - 05-08-2011

Gary™ said:

I'd like you guys to feel free to suggest ways I can improve this thread; I'm trying to include enough details/pics to keep it interesting but not too many that it's boring.

Keep'em coming! I never get bored watching other work Seriously, you have motivated me to get back to work on my kayak. Started working on the skeg this weekend

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Warptboard - 05-08-2011

I'm enjoying the thread. Just documenting your progress and showing how you're doing various steps is wonderful

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Martin S. - 12-14-2012

Bump, any progress?

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Gary™ - 12-14-2012

It's been done a while now - see this post http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=6001673

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe build-along - Martin S. - 12-14-2012

Thanks Gary.

You did a beautiful job, and now the posts will stay around for another year.

I must have been out in the woods when the completion thread was posted.