Woodnet Forums
CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=3058880)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Scoony - 03-15-2008

Looking good CT
I just rebuilt my base by lowering the lower stretchers and added upper stretchers. Now I have room for a cabinet and will be building one much like yours

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - mstens - 03-15-2008

Sand the rubber catch down

looking great though!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - vanguard - 03-15-2008

I just saw this thread for the first time. Your bench is really, really slick. Top notch work.

BTW, I love the purple heart. You and I would get along great.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 03-16-2008

Looks great CT!

Having recently just dovetails in maple, I can see I have quite a lot of practice ahead of me if I want to reach your quality of DTs. Great work.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Corneel - 03-18-2008

I want to be in this most important thread too!
Awesome work CT!

A quick question to the people with a toolchest under the bench. When you clamp a big board to the front of your bench, don't you ever find you just need that chissle or plane that is in one of the drawers that is now behind the board? Knowing myself, that would be a huge problem...

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 03-18-2008

Haha, good point, I hadn't thought of that, Corneel. I'm sure I'll have that problem some day (if I ever get this thing finished) I do have a pair of holdfasts, but just haven't got around to drilling the holes for them yet. I'm hoping the holdfasts will replace most of the clamping.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Corneel - 03-18-2008

I'm smart, you know

I saw somewhere in this thread that you worried about the length of the holdfasts and how much space you need under the bench. But these holdfasts are plenty long, maybe you can just cut a bit of the length?

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 03-18-2008

The holdfasts and vises will replace all your clamping, and if they don't you aren't imaginative enough

ETA: misspelling seems to be a vice.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Ace Karner - 03-18-2008

I had no idea just how versatile holdfasts were till I bought a set from Joel. I use them more than any other one device for my bench now. I have drilled holes all over the place for them and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Nice progress on the bench BTW, I sure would trade my little bench for it. Only problem with it I would hate to pound and beat on it like I do my old thing.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - matthewd - 04-16-2008

So..... Any updates on the bench?