Woodnet Forums
CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=3058880)

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 05-23-2007

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - mpphoto - 05-23-2007

I'm in awe.
I'll bet you have forearms like Popeye now!

Michael

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 05-23-2007

one down, twelve to go?

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Rocketir - 05-23-2007

10-12' of Hard Maple!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - msweig - 05-23-2007

Wow. Impressive.

mark

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 05-23-2007

Whew. Enough time and Pillsbury biscuits to recover enough to post.

Thanks to the big design change (occaisioned by the woodstore not having what I wanted originally), I should only have to do this once more. Alas, it's only 8 feet of 8/4 hard maple.

These pieces will go to form the rear apron and part of the front apron. For the main part of the bench I have two 6' slabs that are about 7" wide and 1.75" thick. I want to edge joint them together. I was thinking a plywood spline, but I don't want to have to go buy a whole sheet of ply wood just to use one little strip. Do you think a series of dowels would be sufficient? To prevent warping, the bench will have breadboard ends and battens underneath.

... I am pondering possible improvements to the framesaw... including "paddles" to give more leverage and less Pop-Eye workout.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 05-24-2007

That is better news

I think the dowels would be fine. I really wish I had waited to pick up some biscuits myself.

Oh well, the Stanley #7 I ordered from Walt today will help to fine-tune... I mean fix the top of my bench

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 05-25-2007

Alrighty. I just finished ripping the last piece, this one only 7 feet. I think I'm done ripping for a while. (Oww... the blisters, they hurt...)

My next question is this: I'm about to edge join the two main slabs. Should I bother trying to flatten the face before I glue them up? Or should I just do it as one big slab after glue up? They are already reasonably flat (i.e., no big bow, twist, etc.).

Cutting up all this expensive lumber is scary.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - timgren - 05-26-2007

I wouldn't bother flattening anything until the glueup is complete. Although I know it's tempting because it's fun.

When I tried pre-flatteningon any of my bench components, I always had to re-flatten anyway after the glue-up. And some of the material I "pre-flattened" away shouldn't have been. But by doing so, I made more work for myself in the end.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 05-26-2007

That make sense to me too. Although with CT's obvious penchant for hard work, maybe planing twice is in order