Woodnet Forums
Who are you - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Who are you (/showthread.php?tid=3415110)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Re: Who are you - NoTalentRookie - 12-30-2007

Name is Sam, age 49, but NoTalentRookie is a better description of me than Sam. I mainly do flat work, but was given an old Taiwanese lathe and so far I've turned exactly one piece. Made a mallet from a dogwood limb.

Got a feeling...it won't be my last piece.

Re: Who are you - SCMedLion - 12-30-2007

I think I filled out my profile way back when.

I'm Matthew, 31, out of medical residency for a year and a half.

Started woodworking building a cradle at 12 years old for my then nearly-newborn brother. Put the craft on hold then until I made a simple bookcase for my girlfriend about 7 or 8 years ago; now she's my lovely wife. Later built the crib used by my four children and have now been delayed from furniture-building, except for a quick bathroom vanity, whilst bogged down in plain old home carpentry with a master suite renovation.
As long as I keep producing around the house my wife is indulgent on tool purchases. (She says she's done "producing.")

I'm still buying used iron as much as possible, what with the kids and school debt, etc. She's excited about the lathe and wants to learn to turn some ornaments next year.

I've ordered my first pen kit. Hope to post pics of a completed project in the near future.

Regards, Matthew.

Re: Who are you - Poppie - 12-31-2007

Dale Corbett, 51. I was a flat worker until I got a lathe for my 50th Bday. I wanted to turn a few walking sticks. Now after 50+ sticks I use my table saw to cut stick squares and bowl blanks.

Re: Who are you - jair2099 - 01-10-2008

I am jair

Actually life in Mexico City, I love the carpeter, is my hobbie, I like this forum because are leard more tecniques.

thank you allĀ“s

Re: Who are you - Neal Addy - 01-10-2008

Welcome to the forum, Jair.

Re: Who are you - MikeMcCoy - 01-10-2008

I use my real name but left out the space when I signed onto the site. 57 and only turning for just shy of a year.

Re: Who are you - NorCal - 01-10-2008

I am Paul in Santa Rosa, CA (sonoma wine country about 50 miles north of San Fran). I am not to be confused with Troy/Chairman Kaga because I also answer to ,"coffee's ready" and "free wood". To make it easier, just say "Peet's Coffee" for me.

I started wood working in 1980-83 in woodshop and loved it from the start. Turning was always one of my favorite things. But aside from a few pieces and home improvement stuff was focused on other things up until early last year when I setup a dedicated woodshop. Like a surprising number in this thread I'm also in the IT/Software industry. I've gotten 3 of my kids into woodworking and it is great in a lot of ways.

Re: Who are you - Newbie - But working on it - 01-10-2008

My almost real name is Butch Hayes. The "Butch" in not on my birth certificate, but it is on my business cards, and at 62 if I want to go by a kid's name, I'm allowed. (No, I am not female )
I have a lathe in my front hall that has not yet been taken out of the box - the tools won't arrive until a couple of weeks from now, and I have kitchen wall tiles to get up before the wet saw gets put away and the lathe gets put in.
The last time I turned was on a metal lathe in 1963. LOML gave me $250 to get a mini because she saw me watching every turning thing I could find on cable. My moniker says it all (as does my avatar). Been doing flat work for about three years and TONS of home improvement forever. So far I am intrigued by bowls and other things of that nature, while long spindles (like table legs) don't grab me yet. I'll just have to see.

Re: Who are you - SteveL - 01-10-2008

Even though I don't turn a lot, I have the bug and will some day jump off the cliff and buy a real lathe.

Name is Steve, 53 and feel 90 some days and 17 the other. Wife wonders if I'll ever grow up.

I've learned a lot here and expect that I'll learn a lot more.

Re: Who are you - krap22 - 01-10-2008

Adam

Never turned a thing in my life, but i just bought a lathe because my wife wants a bedroom set that has turned pieces so it was cheaper to buy the lathe and learn how to do it than buy the turned pieces.