Woodnet Forums
What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? (/showthread.php?tid=6329344)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - adamcherubini - 04-08-2013

DallasStarter said:

"because that's they way you do it" is a great response and emblematic of the difference between Sellers and Klaus.

attitude completely understandable. But just for sake of ful disclosure, Frank's full quote was "because that's they way you do it. You're problem is you've been listening too much to (Ian ) Kirby"

This was many years ago, I was just starting out, Frank didn't know me. I admit that I find Frank charming and aren't always chamred by Sellers, but that may be because I've never met him, don't know him. May well be a touch of schtick in his rhetoric. If I could offer him some hard wonadvise it would be to stick with what you are doing and why you like it and dont' worry about convincing other people that they are wrong. That said, I think he's got a lot to offer.

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - Tony Z - 04-08-2013

adamcherubini said:

[blockquote]DallasStarter said:

"because that's they way you do it" is a great response and emblematic of the difference between Sellers and Klaus.

attitude completely understandable. But just for sake of ful disclosure, Frank's full quote was "because that's they way you do it. You're problem is you've been listening too much to (Ian ) Kirby"

This was many years ago, I was just starting out, Frank didn't know me. I admit that I find Frank charming and aren't always chamred by Sellers, but that may be because I've never met him, don't know him. May well be a touch of schtick in his rhetoric. If I could offer him some hard wonadvise it would be to stick with what you are doing and why you like it and dont' worry about convincing other people that they are wrong. That said, I think he's got a lot to offer.

[/blockquote]

If this forum had a "like" button, I would add that for Adam's post. I think it is a hobbyist fascination with tools that has taken many of us away from what some call a minimalist approach, that is really just "get the job done". Again, I think Swartz is maturing into position with his book "The Anarchist's Toolbox", though I think anarchist is the wrong term.

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - Oldtoolalf - 04-08-2013

Not particularly directed at Tony - LIL is the acronym, I think.

Why, as a hobbyist doing this purely for pleasure, must I always be advised to strive to do things "as tradesmen do"? I'm not doing it for money, with the plus and minuses that entails, so bugger that for a game of soldiers (if you'll pardon the turn of phrase). I'm not in this for the destination (and the pay cheque), I'm in it for the journey. And if the route is scenic? If it meanders and diverges into other things? Well then, I have something to look at.

Can't comment on PS's workbench - I've not studied it, but gather it's essentially the common British pattern, however I've never used one. I think it has limitations, just as my Continental type has limitations. All benches have limitations; benches are like successful sharpening regimes, in my opinion. Stick with one type long enough to get used to it and you'll be fine. Hunt for the perfect solution, and then, yup, you have a lifelong hobby all right...

Cheers, Alf

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - Corneel - 04-08-2013

Completely agree Alf. Although when I actually MAKE something with handtools only, I like to seek out the most efficient route. Like the old tradesman would do it. And being a hobbyist I also like all the endless dicussions about how one method might be better then the other....

But collecting a hoard of tools is part of the hobby too. For me at least, and for some of the other woodworkers too.

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - Tony Z - 04-08-2013

No offense taken, even if at me! I think, though, sometimes we have to examine if our path is chosen to justify accumulating certain things, or if the path is a means to a goal. If a means to a goal, then what is the goal? If we're looking at dovetails in a purely utilitarian way, then one style of work is used. If DT's are used as a decorative element, then another method (and tools) may be required. The same can be said about M & T and so forth.

Personally, I'm pretty much way past the "purchase new tools" group, though I am an "accumulator" of all things plumb bobs, little anvils, old chisels, old saws, some new saws, metallic planes. Hmmmmm, guess I'm not categorizing myself quite correctly!

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - Derek Cohen - 04-08-2013

Oldtoolalf said:

Why, as a hobbyist doing this purely for pleasure, must I always be advised to strive to do things "as tradesmen do"? I'm not doing it for money, with the plus and minuses that entails, so bugger that for a game of soldiers (if you'll pardon the turn of phrase). I'm not in this for the destination (and the pay cheque), I'm in it for the journey. And if the route is scenic? If it meanders and diverges into other things? Well then, I have something to look at.

Can't comment on PS's workbench - I've not studied it, but gather it's essentially the common British pattern, however I've never used one. I think it has limitations, just as my Continental type has limitations. All benches have limitations; benches are like successful sharpening regimes, in my opinion. Stick with one type long enough to get used to it and you'll be fine. Hunt for the perfect solution, and then, yup, you have a lifelong hobby all right...

Cheers, Alf

My sentiments exactly. Thanks Alf.

Benches, vises, work-holding methods ... all are individual choices. When we start out we are guided by those we believe know better. Along the path we come to recognise that our needs and methods differ, and we develop something personal. I could ask, "How does one decide that one method is better than another method, or one tool better than another?" A better question may be, "At what stage do you realise that one is better than the other?".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - cputnam - 04-09-2013

Oldtoolalf said:

Cheers, Alf

Thank you for that. I, too, am a journey person and definitely want to stop & smell the roses on the way. On the tool question: I understand where Chris is coming from but if we are talking journey people, and one has the means and the desire, then accumulating tools is just fine - as is doing the minimalist thing. As long as we enjoy it's all good.

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - stmfitr636 - 04-09-2013

Wasn't it Arnaud Amalric that said "Build them all and let God sort them out" or something.

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - Window Guy - 04-09-2013

Oldtoolalf said:

Cheers, Alf

I couldn't agree more, this is a Hobby for me nothing more. I enjoy working wood and want to become proficient at what I am doing or at least try .

As we all no there is more than one way to do something, and we have a lot of very talented people here which I have mentioned many times.

I like to learn and see new idea's so seeing difference's of opinions for me is welcomed, that is how you learn.

Steve

Re: What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench? - FarRed - 01-28-2014

Better question is: where to find knot-free Douglas fir? I assumed the knots would be similar to pine. That mis-perception resulted having to resharpen a couple of my planes. Paul said the knots were bad, but I had no idea they were like rocks. I did find some clear fir, but it was over $6/bf. I can buy walnut for that price.