Woodnet Forums
How to polish a saw plate - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to polish a saw plate (/showthread.php?tid=6366663)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: How to polish a saw plate - TobyC - 05-08-2013

http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html

Toby

Re: How to polish a saw plate - Blacky's Boy - 05-08-2013

I'm thinking THIS is the stuff, right?

Autosol- Chrome And Metal Polish 100G, Price: $11.00

and not THIS:

Autosol Brass Aluminum Metal Polish 3.33oz.(75 ml) Tube, Price: $15.99

Re: How to polish a saw plate - Wilbur Pan - 05-08-2013

Rob Lee to the rescue: look here.

Try just the aluminum foil and water, It's an old way to remove rust from chrome wheels and bumpers.

Read the link I posted above.

Toby

Re: How to polish a saw plate - Christian Castillo - 05-08-2013

Hi, that is in fact how I began TobyC, I used foil and water, it will gently remove tarnish, then I thought, why not pair this up with metal polish to get multiple steps in one go? It shined up a plate I was testing on so nice that I was shocked and was less messy than using water, then I began doing it to a D-8 panel saw and I love how it turned out. I say to use a high quality metal polish like the autosol sold by Lee Valley because I tried it with brasso and I wasn't too pleased, you don't get the same level of polish from brasso from better polishes.

Cool. How does the etch look?

Toby

Re: How to polish a saw plate - Christian Castillo - 05-08-2013

I haven't started on the Disston 7 shown, but I can show you how the test saw, the D-8 panel turned out :

I made no special effort around the etch, I polished like I just didn't care, but I'm still testing this out so please exercise some caution so I don't have a lot of people saying I ruined their saw etches. From what I know, I just don't see how foil and metal polish can ruin an etch unless you polish till your arm falls off. With this particular saw, after scraping, I did hit it with a klingspor medium (220 grit?) rust eraser on stubborn areas, I omitted that step with the Disston 7 though, so you can hit the plate with some abrasive for coarse rust clean up, but then I've had luck just jumping straight to foil and polish.

IMG_2559 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_2560 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

Re: How to polish a saw plate - Isaac S - 05-08-2013

Thanks for posting this Christian. It looks like I will be giving this method a try in the near future.

Re: How to polish a saw plate - kenl - 05-08-2013

I just tried it. WOW! Simple and effective, really effective.

Thanks Christian,
I'll have to try that. I like it when someone takes their own path, instead of just blindly following others. Good job!!!

Toby