Woodnet Forums
Jewelry box progress - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Jewelry box progress (/showthread.php?tid=6514817)

Pages: 1 2

Jewelry box progress - Mike Brady - 09-25-2013

I am progressing on a jewelry case for my wife to receive at Christmas. I had no real plan but wanted to use some walnut I had accumulated. We actually collaborated on the size and interior storage for her little treasures. I wanted to use the line and berry inlay tools I had built, and thought that motif would be feminine and nice for this piece. The case is done except for the lid and hardware. The interior is padded pigskin suede. I think she will like it.

Re: Jewelry box progress - eg54string - 09-25-2013

Beautiful.
I am sure she will love it.
Eric.

Re: Jewelry box progress - cputnam - 09-25-2013

Beautiful wood, inlay, box! Well Done!

Re: Jewelry box progress - joemac - 09-25-2013

Mike, your skill and patience is to be admired. Very nice work.

Re: Jewelry box progress - rectangle618 - 09-25-2013

That's a winner. Really nice figured walnut. Love the line and berry. Nice work!

Re: Jewelry box progress - Souperchicken - 09-25-2013

Very nice, I need to get going on a similar project for my wife. I'd love to see it when you complete it!

Re: Jewelry box progress - titanxt - 09-26-2013

Very nice!!!

Andy

Re: Jewelry box progress - Window Guy - 09-26-2013

Very nice job indeed and what a beautiful Jewelry Box, I am sure your Wife will love it.

Steve

Re: Jewelry box progress - joemac - 09-26-2013

Mike, one question regarding the inlay. Since the inlay is done on raw wood, how do you finish it without staining/coloring the inlay?

Re: Jewelry box progress - Mike Brady - 09-26-2013

Joe, that's a good question. My stringing is holly, which is very white in the natural state. I am using General Finishes Arm-R-Seal wipe on the project, so that would change the holly to more of an amber color, which is fine with me, but I am going to try the finish on a sample piece of inlay before I jump into it. I have heard of using liquid masking material to protect inlay from finish staining, but I can say I won't be going there. The berries are ebony and cherry, so they should have a subtle contrast with the walnut when finished.

By the way, I am making a plain lid also; just in case the inlay is not what I had hoped. Fortunately the case itself is basically done.

Thanks for the nice comments, and I will post a photo when it is finished.