Woodnet Forums
A few of the saws I made for WIA - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A few of the saws I made for WIA (/showthread.php?tid=6546733)

Pages: 1 2

A few of the saws I made for WIA - Isaac S - 10-26-2013

These are some of the saws I took with me to WIA. They represent my three latest designs, and feature some pretty nice woods. As usual, my pictures don't fully bring them to life.

This first two are nine inch dovetail saws, with a canted blade and tapered spine. The first handle is elm from my parents' property in Wisconsin, and the second is quartersawn cherry left over from wood that a customer sent me (thanks, Martin). The elm was a wonderful wood - easy to work, but hard enough to take very crisp details, and it took a beautiful finish.

The third is my version of Smith's Key 12" carcase saw. It is heavily canted, and the spine is tapered as well. The handle on this one is from the same elm. The low hang angle of the handle gives it a feel that is very different from any other saw of similar size that I have ever used. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but works very well when you get it.

The last is a fourteen inch sash saw with a cherry crotch handle. The spine and bolts are made of stainless steel, and is my first attempt in that material. It took considerably more effort, but I love the way it looks.

Thanks for taking the time to look. Any feedback or constructive criticism is welcomed.

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - Timberwolf - 10-26-2013

Every one is outstanding Iassc, but the one in stainless gets my vote... because I know first hand the difficulty working it and how well it turned out....I can't get over the detail you put into those handles!!! The crispy lines and edges are beautiful!!!!!!!

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - AWL - 10-26-2013

Very nice Isaac. I think the quartersawn cherry is my favourite.

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - Martin S. - 10-26-2013

AWL said:

Very nice Isaac. I think the quartersawn cherry is my favourite.

Mine too!

Beautiful work, as usual.

Love the handle on the stainless one, as well.

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - Blacky's Boy - 10-26-2013

Nice work Issac. As Jack said, your attention to detail and crisp features on the handles are amazing.

How did you do at WIA? I hope you got lots of orders! With those saws as eye candy I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - MarvW - 10-26-2013

Exquisite attention to detail Isaac. All lines are so sharp. I have a question about the Smith's Key version.... it appears that the tip of the upper horn would rub on the top of the hand? And could easily be broken off.

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - eg54string - 10-26-2013

Beautiful work. Great inventiveness.

I really like the grain pattern and the uniqueness of the elm.
The cherry matches up perfectly with the stainless, also. So I gotta pick two.
Eric.

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - Arlin Eastman - 10-26-2013

Timberwolf said:

Every one is outstanding Iassc, but the one in stainless gets my vote... because I know first hand the difficulty working it and how well it turned out....I can't get over the detail you put into those handles!!! The crispy lines and edges are beautiful!!!!!!!

I can not say it any better then Jack

Well done my friend.

Arlin

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - JeremyLP - 10-26-2013

I went to your site and had a look. Your 10" DT saw with Walnut burl handle is way awesome! Would it be ok to share that photo with my FB friends?

Re: A few of the saws I made for WIA - TobyC - 10-26-2013

I am speechless! Every saw you do is better than the last! I can't pick just one as my favorite, I like 'em all!! I kind of favor the Elm though.