Woodnet Forums
Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 (/showthread.php?tid=6548628)

Pages: 1 2

Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - MarkSLSmith - 10-28-2013

Folks,

I just cleaned up a saw and I need a bit of advice for sharpening it. It is an Atkins 93 Improved Universal saw.

I haven't found much information about it on the web. I do know it was meant to be truly universal, i.e. it would cut both crosscut and rip. Does anyone out there know how I should sharpen it? I'm kind of a newbie saw sharpener, but I have sharpened pure crosscut and pure rip saw (but never both in one saw).

Does anyone else have more background information on this saw?

Mark

Re: Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - TobyC - 10-28-2013

"Great American" tooth pattern crosscut saw, cuts on the push and pull. Sharpen just like a one or two man crosscut saw.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post676349.html#p676349

Re: Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - Jonathan S - 10-28-2013

Nice find. I would imagine there would be some collector interest in that saw. Disston made a similar saw called the D17 Double Duty, which are fairly uncommon. This is the first time I have ever seen an Atkins. I had a nice D17 a few years ago, but sold to to a collector. I expect they are uncommon because they did not crosscut or rip very well.

If the tooth pattern is the same as the Disston, I believe it had 2 rip teeth and 5 crosscut teeth, separated by the deep U shaped gullets. I imagine Daryl Weir, could give you some sharping advise.

Jonathan

Not the same, Disston looked like this...

This saw has three teeth, big gullet, three teeth, and so on, but no big gullets close to the toe.

Re: Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - swagman - 10-29-2013

Commonly referred to as Crown Tooth.

Re: Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - TobyC - 10-29-2013

We don't wear crowns, well,... accept for Burger King!

Are you bothered by the term "Great American"? We'll rename it "The Incredible Australian"!!

Re: Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - swagman - 10-29-2013

TobyC said:

We don't wear crowns, well,... accept for Burger King!

Are you bothered by the term "Great American"? We'll rename it "The Incredible Australian"!!

Re: Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93 - TobyC - 10-29-2013