Woodnet Forums
Post pics of your homemade tools - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Post pics of your homemade tools (/showthread.php?tid=6617072)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - patriarch - 01-14-2014

Brent V. said:

[blockquote]barryvabeach said:

Actually, despite its homely looks, it works okay, especially with the LV inspired set screws to get the dovetail iron and the knicker iron to line up just right

Not every tool has to be a piece of art. If it does what you need it to do, I'm happy to see it. Nice work.

[/blockquote]

I remember pictures of Krenov's own planes...

Tools, the man wanted to see.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Mike Brady - 01-14-2014

I like the plane posted by mc25a above. My plane is also my first, except I used the LV plane hardware instead of Hock's.This was an educational small project, and it taught me to appreciate my Lie-Nielsen planes even more. I find the adjustment of wooden planes to be too finicky and non-linear compared to first-class metal planes. Maybe if I had a first-class wood plane.......

I need to do some refinement of the shape, particularly the aft part that fits into the heel of my pushing (right) hand.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - closed for business - 01-14-2014

lol.. nothing compared to what some of yall are making but i hope that what i make helps you make what you make.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - sculpin - 01-14-2014

My version of the Hock kit:

A turning tool I made from scratch:

A tanged knife I made (from the Lee Valley Frost blade)

Mike

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - mc25a - 01-14-2014

Mike Brady said:

I like the plane posted by mc25a above.

I like yours as well. I debated on getting that iron over the Hock for the same reasons you mention, I only had funds for one. How does it work? I may use that one for my next project. I'm thinking either of a block plane or a jointer.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - CedarSlayer - 01-14-2014

Great thread this one!

Here are a few of mine.

Bob

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - patriarch - 01-14-2014

Are you kidding? I don't beat my tools out of fire & smoke. That's the thing Granddaddy did when he emigrated 110 years ago fro Europe.

I bow in honor.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - BaileyNo5 - 01-14-2014

Cedarslayer, I cry Uncle. You win. You have the most unusual, creative and well executed shop tools I have seen. Kudos!

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Mark Stansbury - 01-15-2014

How about outdoor woodworking tools? These are ugly but work very well, and can be hosed off at the end of the job. I did 2 runs of 6 ft. fencing and then a white picket fence and got tired of makeshift bracing for the posts. These + a post level = straight fences. Tap them in enough to ensure alignment and plumb (there was mason's twine there somewhere). Pour and tamp concrete around them, and pull out. I added the wire rope handles after taking the top picture.

" />

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Peter Tremblay - 01-23-2014

I finally got to the shop tonight and I remembered to take some pictures of the few homemade tools that I have.

This is a simple tool to insert threaded nuts into wood. I can never get them straight in so I made this little thing to chuck into a bit brace. I put the threaded nut onto it and it's really easy to insert straight.

A workbench is a tool (I don't have any recent pictures of my bench) but so is a tool wall. I love this setup!

It is so nice to have my most used hand tools easily in reach.

The rest go in here

Here is my first attempt at rehabbing an old gouge

And this is the last tool that I've made in the shop.