Woodnet Forums
Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane (/showthread.php?tid=6664576)

Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - toolmiser - 02-15-2014

I have a 45 plane that doesn't have a box. I would like to build a replica just to give the plane a nice home. I would like to make it look similar to the original. I'm not trying to pull the wool over someone's eye in the future, just thought it would be a nice project. Does anyone have the dimensions? Thanks!

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Carl Grover - 02-15-2014

Here's the scoop on my Montgomery Wards 45 box:

Funny enough, I just noticed the green "Stanley combination Plow and beading plane" sticker on one end of the box.

Overall length: 12 1/16"
overall width: 5 3/4"
overall height: 6 1/4"

sides and ends are joined with a box joint 1/8" x 7/16"

top slides in a groove plowed out of the sides. No groove in back which is full height. top has a rabbet on each side 1/8" x 3/8" for the groove. There is a "D" shaped cutout in the top to make it easier to slide. Top is flush with the sides. Mine could use a swipe or two from a shoulder plane to loosen it up.

Bottom is nailed on and is full size to overall width and depth. About 1/4" thick.

Sides and ends are about 1/2" thick.

Overall quality is horrible with enormous radial machine marks on all surfaces. Best guess at the wood species is oak (wood ID is not a strongpoint).

That ought to keep you busy for a while.

Carl

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Stwood_ - 02-15-2014

Sounds about like my box, but it's pine

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Red Sawman - 02-15-2014

Carl Grover said:

Best guess at the wood species is oak (wood ID is not a strongpoint).

That ought to keep you busy for a while.

Carl

Good job Carl ..... but I'm pretty sure the original Stanley boxes were Chestnut .... at least the dozen or so I have are ....

Red

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Admiral - 02-15-2014

I have a Sweetheart vintage 45 with the box; here's the detailed particulars if you want to build an exact replica; don't worry about pulling the wool over someone's eyes, the decals are very hard to come by:

Stock is 5/16 thick, finger jointed construction.

Exterior dimensions: 12 3/8 x 7 1/2

Bottom section overall is 3 3/4" deep, with bottom nailed on; just the finger jointed portion is 3 7/16" without counting the bottom

Top is 1 5/8 with the top glued on (I couldn't find any brads); just the finger jointed portion is 1 5/16 without the top.

Inside the bottom there is an angled bar nailed to the bottom, 1" high x 3/4 wide, with two holes on the left, the first 11/16 on center from the right side, the second 1 13/16 on center. I couldn't get the precise angle of the bar, but its bottom left end is 2 1/8" from the front left inside corner, the top right is 2" from the upper right inside corner.

the iron storage is on the right, with two slots for 1/8" stock; two 1/8 dados , the first 3/16ths from the inside edge, the second 3/16ths from the left edge of the first dado. These dados are in both the top and bottom.

In the top is a stop block to keep the irons in tight when the lid is closed, it is glued into the right side of the top, 9/16 wide and 13/16 tall.

Here's some pics to give you some orientation, and to show the hardware:

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Red Sawman - 02-15-2014

Admiral:

That is an interesting box ... must be a late model that was not produced for very long ... I have several of the sliding lid boxes, several of the tin boxes and a few of the cardboard ones. The Ward's, Fulton and Sear's boxes I have are taller and narrower than yours. That resembles a Sargent box .....

If the OP has a late model 45 (Type 5?) this would be a good box for him .... my Ward's box is mahogany and it's beautiful.... it's 12"w 8"d & 7-1/4"h

" />

Red

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Admiral - 02-15-2014

Mine is a late model Sweetheart, circa 1930 +/-

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Rob Young - 02-15-2014

Carl Grover said:

Here's the scoop on my Montgomery Wards 45 box:
Carl

My MonkeyWard box is cardboard. Doubt anybody wants to duplicate that!

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - GeorgeV - 02-15-2014

This thread couldn't have come along at a better time. I have been thinking about making box for my 45 and was curious about the dimensions, just never thought about asking!

Re: Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane - Window Guy - 02-16-2014

Richard .......... Nice looking Box, I have an earlier Model without the blade adjuster and a set of non original Record irons which work. It is a little fussy to set up though.

I see another future project , if I keep this one.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve