Woodnet Forums
What paint to use on planes - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What paint to use on planes (/showthread.php?tid=6757701)

Pages: 1 2

What paint to use on planes - jussi - 06-10-2014

What type of paint do you guys use to repaint a hand plane

Re: What paint to use on planes - AgGEM - 06-10-2014

Great question, I don't know but I await an answer.
While we wait:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgekmOqCFTU

Ag

Re: What paint to use on planes - woodscrounger - 06-10-2014

Hand planes weren't actually painted. They were 'japanned'. Japanning is a linseed oil based finish with asphaltum pigment. -usually a baked on finish. or you can add Japan Drier to make it harden. Pontypool makes a japanning & you can buy it online. Some folks have made their own japanning.

Re: What paint to use on planes - enjuneer - 06-10-2014

If durability is more important than authenticity, then use Duplicolor DE-1635 Semi-gloss Black engine paint. It comes in a spray can and can be purchased at many auto parts stores for about $8.

It is very tough and the color/gloss is pretty close to new japanning, but without the fuss.

Re: What paint to use on planes - jussi - 06-10-2014

enjuneer said:

If durability is more important than authenticity, then use Duplicolor DE-1635 Semi-gloss Black engine paint. It comes in a spray can and can be purchased at many auto parts stores for about $8.

It is very tough and the color/gloss is pretty close to new japanning, but without the fuss.

Thanks. That's the 2nd recommendation I've read about that exact paint. I may give it a try. I definitely want something easy and have no desire to mess with japanning. I just want something that looks close. I've read one recommendation of applying several coats within 20-30 mins of one another. Is that what you do as well?

Re: What paint to use on planes - TyG - 06-10-2014

The Dupli color is what I used. It is great. I also got the appropriate primer from the same company.

Re: What paint to use on planes - Bob-Jones - 06-10-2014

There is a type of motor paint that is close enough to the old finish for me. I wrote a blog entry about it. Can't post a link from my phone, but it is searchable. You can always strip the rust and not add more finish.

Re: What paint to use on planes - jussi - 06-10-2014

Where did you buy it and what was the primer? What was your paint method? How many coats of each and how long did you wait in between?

TyG said:

The Dupli color is what I used. It is great. I also got the appropriate primer from the same company.

at a computer now...

http://thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpress...oration-tuning/

let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

one point to not overlook - apply vasoline to any surface that you want unpainted. The cured paint will easily wipe away from those surfaces. It's easier than using tape.