Woodnet Forums
The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn (/showthread.php?tid=6805621)

The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - BloomingtonMike - 08-16-2014

Not really a "workshop" forum here so I will start a thread in the woodworking forum.
I have been out of shop space for a long time. Ive added a CNC mill and metal lathes and a mill drill and it really pushed me to my limit.

I am building my own personal Tech Shop/Makerspace - I call it the Mikiespace.

Bloomington IL cant really sustain a membership based real tech shop and all the makerspaces we do have are all 3d printer and small electronic based offices. I want a Makerspace that has tools to do everything and room to teach and learn and room to change the focus of the events to the whims of the visitors. I hate panels and boards of people that only sit around and have meetings about this crap. I have been promoting DOERS here for awhile and have a group of guys I work with that also get things done - guitar build, motorcycle builds, cnc machines, etc. A couple months ago I had had enough talking about it and started researching. It was time to fix my space issues if I wanted to do more.

I changed all the power on my property to 400amp service/ installed a new meterbase and a couple 200 amp disconnects. Got a gas and line trenched and last Thursday I had an Indiana Amish crew come in and start my new pole barn. Here it is as of 5pm Friday 8/15. It will have a 5" thick concrete floor with radiant floor heat. There will be a 10X24 porch and two 14X14 overhead doors. Local crew will do the concrete. Eventually it will have a loft in part for a second story.

Anyway thought I would share the current adventure pic. Skidsteer in the back looks tiny LOL.[Image: endday2_zps8540a07d.jpg]

[Image: endday2_zps8540a07d.jpg]

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Rick_B - 08-16-2014

OMG Mike I'm lost for words, That is an impressive building and an even more impressive project you are opening up.

Good luck!

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Big Dave - 08-16-2014

We expect lots of pics...

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Paul K. Murphy - 08-16-2014

I'm jealous. Very jealous.
That's a terrific looking shop.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Steve N - 08-16-2014

Hardly any overhead room there Mike, yer constantly gonna be thinking ya shoulda gone 20' tall

I say dripping with huge barn envy. My little 32 x 48 x 12' tall would get lost in that things shadow.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Cian - 08-17-2014

I love it when you talk SHOP to me.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - BrokenOlMarine - 08-17-2014

If is in poor taste to covet thy neighbors barn?

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - fredhargis - 08-17-2014

WOW, envy the room you'll have.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Bill_de - 08-17-2014

It looks great Mike. It is always nice to see when somebody stops 'thinking about it', and starts getting it done.

Best of luck!

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - JerrySats - 08-17-2014

Your other shop was impressive this one should be everyone's dream shop it sounds like it will be yours . I look forward to following the shop build . Are you planning a two story inside in any part of the shop ?