Woodnet Forums
A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle (/showthread.php?tid=6825204)

Pages: 1 2

A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - Isaac S - 09-09-2014

At one of the LN Hand Tool Events this spring, the LN staff gave me a small piece of koa to use for saw handles. Because it was so narrow, the only saw handle I could squeeze out of it was one for a nine inch dovetail saw. Even that was a bit of a stretch, so I ended up using a little epoxy and CA glue to fill and stabilize some of the punky sapwood (that's the bit on the top horn in the second to last photo).

This was the first time I had seen or worked with koa, but I suspect not the last. It was an agreeable wood to work with, and the figure and grain is rather fetching.

Thanks for looking. All comments or critiques are welcome.

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - cputnam - 09-09-2014

I dearly love Koa but aside from being hard to get it is mondo spendy. I treasure the one board that I have.

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - Blacky's Boy - 09-09-2014

Wow,....just wow!

Me likey some koa!

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - DJChurn - 09-09-2014

More eye candy!

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - GNP - 09-09-2014

Sweet!!!!

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - Martin S. - 09-09-2014

Isaac, you never cease to impress.

Beautiful, per your usual standard.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - dlgWoodWork - 09-09-2014

Looks like art. But I know it would be a joy to use as well. Beautiful

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - Bibliophile 13 - 09-09-2014

The grain is wonderful, and I think the filled voids on the top really add some character.

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - blockade - 09-09-2014

You used grain direction the way that the best of the gunstock makers do, to give strength along the lines of use, and generally with the flow of the design. That's beautiful work.

Re: A recent dovetail saw, koa handle - Corneel - 09-09-2014

blockade said:

You used grain direction the way that the best of the gunstock makers do, to give strength along the lines of use, and generally with the flow of the design. That's beautiful work.

Indeed, the grain follows the design perfectly. That's what caught my eye too. Beautifull.