Woodnet Forums
Sawing a perfect tenon. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sawing a perfect tenon. (/showthread.php?tid=6869523)

Pages: 1 2

Sawing a perfect tenon. - Derek Cohen - 11-02-2014

I designed this guide about 4 or 5 years ago and offered it to Lee Valley, who looked into producing it. In the end, however, LV decided that they could not find a way to manufacture it cheaply enough as a commercial proposition. So finally I now have the design back and I am passing to the public to build for private use. I just hate to see a great design not get used.

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/TenonGuide.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - Guest - 11-02-2014

That's pretty neat, Derek. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - GeorgeV - 11-02-2014

Thanks Derek, my project for the coming week.

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - MarvW - 11-02-2014

Clever tool, Derek and very well described and demonstrated.

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - Martin S. - 11-02-2014

Derek,

That is perfect.

I'll be making one.

Thanks for posting!

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - cputnam - 11-02-2014

Other than a shooting board and bench hook, this may be the 1st shop built tool I attempt. Thank you.

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - Mike Brady - 11-02-2014

Looks very much like this one from Popular Woodworking magazine a few years ago. I built one but decided it was too much like machine woodworking, with all the fiddling and setup; so I used it on only one project.

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - pampine - 11-02-2014

Mike Brady said:

Looks very much like this one from Popular Woodworking magazine a few years ago. I built one but decided it was too much like machine woodworking, with all the fiddling and setup; so I used it on only one project.

As much as I like and appreciate Derek, looks to me as if it would be easier to learn how to saw a straight line than use a jig and clamp to make a tenon.

Pam

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - Derek Cohen - 11-03-2014

Mike Brady said:

Hi Mike

They are very different. I recall when Jeff Miller brought out his jig - LV already had my design for a couple of years and I was curious if anyone would develop something similar in the meantime.

Jeff's jig looks like it is designed for production work only. It uses a template to measure and saw the tenon width. It appears to be a fixed width (unless he has other templates). The jig only saws the cheeks. A separate guide is used to saw the shoulders.

As you found, the nature of Jeff's jig will make you feel separate from the work piece. It is closer to a sawing machine. It is a very good jig for production work.

The guide I designed is closer to sawing the real thing. It can vary the spacings infinitely. Still, one can do production sawing on it: Set the guide to saw one cut, and replace the stretcher once a saw cut is made. Progress through the stretchers, in turn, one cut at a time.

Peter Evan (on Wood Central) suggested that it would be helpful in sawing out the mortices for saw handles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Sawing a perfect tenon. - Derek Cohen - 11-03-2014

pampine said:

[blockquote]Mike Brady said:

As much as I like and appreciate Derek, looks to me as if it would be easier to learn how to saw a straight line than use a jig and clamp to make a tenon.

Pam

[/blockquote]

Pam, you will not get any disagreement from me. Learning to saw straight is definitely preferred. Some cannot do so, for a number of reasons, one simply being limited coordination and/or hand strength. Another may be confidence - and I would hope that they would obtain the muscle memory and confidence from a guide such as this (in the same way that many have done so using the LV dovetail guide).

Regards from Perth

Derek