Woodnet Forums
Yet another belt sharpener... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Yet another belt sharpener... (/showthread.php?tid=6889014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Yet another belt sharpener... - Timberwolf - 11-25-2014

Built with just a few simple tools and inexpensive materials...and lots of desire....I think Mark did a fine job building this hand tool sharpener, especially true when all he had to go by was a few pictures and no measurements or prints..Good job, Mark!!!!

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...mp;sb=5&o=7

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - MarkSingleton - 11-25-2014

Still on my short list. I have most of the parts. Will be taking pics along the way too.

Thanks for the re-post Jack and thanks to CLETUS for the original post. Very cool...

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Timberwolf - 11-25-2014

"Git 'er done" Mark...you'll love the speed and the horizontal belt, for sure!!

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Boatman53 - 11-25-2014

Thanks for bringing that up here Jack. I never go to the off topic so would have missed it.
Jim

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - patriarch - 11-25-2014

But you miss such good stuff in the Basement...

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 11-25-2014

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Window Guy - 11-26-2014

Thanks Jack, I did happen to see it, he did a nice job and this is on my short list also.

Steve

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - CLETUS - 11-26-2014

Sorry... forgot some folks cant see the basement.

Thanks guys.

CLETUS said:

I happened to wander into handtools awhile back and Jack was talking about a horizontal belt sander he was designing. All I had to do was mention that was on my to-do list and Jack fired off his prototype and second generation pics.

I didn't have access to some of the size material that Jack had... So bought what I could, sat down with some beers and got to planning.

2" angle iron.
1" bar stock
1/4" nuts and bolts <---- only because I had a 1/4" tap.
Drive pulley white oak.
Idler pulley is a serpentine belt idler.

Thanks to Jack for the original idea and being more than happy to answer any questions I had. This grinder will always be known as "The Timberwolf"

Questions, comments, thoughts, concerns?

I'd be happy to take measurements or closer pics, if anyone is interested.

Oh yeah, no special tooling needed. Drill press, hand drill, chop saw, dremel. I'll even include a pic of me turning the drive wheel using a 1/4" wood chisel.

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Timberwolf - 11-26-2014

I just noticed in the bottom picture, you are using the motor as a lathe {like we discussed} and turning the drive wheel without using a tool rest....when I do that, I just rest the lathe tool on a block of scrap wood that is high enough to act as a fulcrum for the tool...makes it easier for me to control...

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - CLETUS - 11-26-2014

Timberwolf said:

makes it easier for me to control...

Wish I would have thought of that! I'm going to re-do the crown, I'll try using a tool rest.