Woodnet Forums
Sharpening carbide saw blades - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sharpening carbide saw blades (/showthread.php?tid=7031618)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - knotscott - 06-13-2015

If it's a good blade, it can be sharpened. Scott Whiting on the west coast, Dynamic Saw on the east coast. If not, don't waste your money...get a decent blade...they start ~ $30.

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - Aram - 06-13-2015

®smpr_fi_mac® said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

Scott Whiting is my guy

623 931 0633

Joe

+1

He did my saw blades and now has three sets of planer blades of mine.

[/blockquote]

Pig-piling on here. +1 more. The biggest problem I ever had with Scott was his tendency to forget to bill me.

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - Arlin Eastman - 04-23-2016

bump for info

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - JerGar - 04-24-2016

jteneyck said:

Whatever you do, do not try to sharpen a carbide tipped TS blade yourself
John

LOL,
I do it all the time with my tool grinder with great results.

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - jteneyck - 04-24-2016

JerGar said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

Whatever you do, do not try to sharpen a carbide tipped TS blade yourself
John

LOL,
I do it all the time with my tool grinder with great results.

[/blockquote]

You either are very good or have low standards. No way you can match what a $500K NC blade grinder can do precisely sharpening all the faces.

John

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - JerGar - 04-24-2016

John,

My tool grinder is basically a pretty cheap all around tool grinder as tool grinders go but it still cost me $10,000,
I'm just a one man shop and it does fine for me.
I never said it matched the big machine but it does a great job and is plenty sharp enough for me.
You wanna say I have low standards then so be it.
I've gotten pretty use to it the past ten years and think I have it figured out.
It's just cutting wood.

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - Axl - 04-24-2016

jteneyck said:

You either are very good or have low standards. No way you can match what a $500K NC blade grinder can do precisely sharpening all the faces.

John

Depends on if you have the mechanical ability to do it.
If a HF sharpener will do it, someone with the ability can do it on a tool grinder.

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - jteneyck - 04-24-2016

If you're happy that's all that matters. Not many of us have $10,000 tool grinders nor the need for one.

John

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - daddo - 04-24-2016

I use the diamond sharpening wheels whether on the grinder or setup on the lathe by hand. I'll do them 3 to 4 times then get a new blade.

Re: Sharpening carbide saw blades - John Mihich - 04-25-2016

For me I have found it important to make sure the angle is correct and taking an equal amount off each tooth. With the HF tool I get that. Not a great grinding wheel - I will replace it with a good one when this one wears out - I got about 15 sharpenings on one side (I did 10 for my brother). I tested the ones I did against a new one - just as good. I will say I have only done combo blades that have the same angle. Once I set the angle up I just checked it every couple of blades.

I got the machine on sale - $30. I thought it was worth trying it out. I did 4 of mine and am happy. Paying 40-50 to buy a blade I think it was worth a try.