Woodnet Forums
My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup (/showthread.php?tid=7059229)

My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - dlgWoodWork - 07-20-2015

I turned this pen last night. It is a Jr. Aaron with a Afzelia Xlay wood, Rhodium/22K Gold finish. I think the mirror background looks better than the white. What do you think?

Re: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - AHill - 07-20-2015

Nice job! The grain has character. I too, like the mirror background better in the pics. What is your finish on the pen?

Re: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - badwhiskey - 07-21-2015

AHill said:

Nice job! The grain has character. I too, like the mirror background better in the pics.

What he said.

Re: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - dlgWoodWork - 07-21-2015

The finish is CA glue. I sand the wood to 500 grit, put on a small amount of BLO, then 7-8 coats of medium CA. After the CA has set up I use a plastic polish to shine it up.

Re: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 07-22-2015

To me both pens are washed out in the photos. I would say use a grey or blue background or re adjust your settings on the camera. Need to play around with your setup some more. Nice timber on the pen though.

Re: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - dartman - 07-27-2015

Very nice....I like the character of the wood.

Re: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - Arlin Eastman - 07-27-2015

I really like the pen.

On the mirror I find it is distracting if it is laying down but if it was 45 degrees or up right might help for me anyway.

Also White back ground seems kind of bleek and with no softness to it.

Just me and how I feel tho

Arlin

Re: My newest pen and playing around with my photo setup - Timberwolf - 07-28-2015

Quote:

Also White back ground seems kind of bleek and with no softness to it.

Same here...The background washes out the detail for me, but nice work on the pen.