Woodnet Forums
Cutting solid surface - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cutting solid surface (/showthread.php?tid=7059266)

Cutting solid surface - AztecKing - 07-20-2015

I have a neighbor who asked me if I could cut about 3/4" off the end of his laundry room counter. His washer and dryer are a little too wide for the opening. The challenge is the counter ends on the right side of the washer and dryer so using a circular saw is really hard. If I cut from the front of the counter to the back (or wall) there is almost no part of the saw shoe on the surface. I assume I'll have to cut back as far as the saw will go and finish it with my Multimaster. Help!!!

Jeff

Re: Cutting solid surface - Bob10 - 07-20-2015

That is how I have done it but taped the edge with blue tape to reduce mess. I guess you could also use something to create zero clearance

Re: Cutting solid surface - Mr_Mike - 07-20-2015

Remove counter and cut outdoors?

Re: Cutting solid surface - Dan Moening - 07-20-2015

Quote:

there is almost no part of the saw shoe on the surface.

Make a temporary larger shoe?
An internet search found the image

on this page :

http://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/circular-saws/how-to-use-a-circular-saw-long-cuts/view-all

Re: Cutting solid surface - Steve N - 07-20-2015

Mr_Mike said:

Remove counter and cut outdoors?

Eliminates not being able to get to the end. After flipping the counter as you need to, it will also allow a bearing surface, but cutting off small amounts are a bit tricky sometimes, really clamp it up, support it well from underneath too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5XitQqPOtY

Re: Cutting solid surface - AztecKing - 07-20-2015

Dan, that shoe is a great idea but I need to extend the narrow side of the saw.

Mr. Mike, I'll check to see if I can remove the counter. It's an L shape so it's attached in the corner.

Re: Cutting solid surface - Dan Moening - 07-20-2015

It was the idea of a bigger shoe i was depicting.

Make the side you need wider.
Shouldn't be too difficult to mirror the design.

Re: Cutting solid surface - AztecKing - 07-21-2015

Dan,

Boy do I feel stupid right now.

Jeff

Re: Cutting solid surface - jasfrank - 07-21-2015

Clamp a square piece of plywood to the counter top and use that as a fence for a router or laminate trimmer. A small router such as a bosch colt would get pretty close to the wall. I have an old laminate trimmer with a 2 x 2 base that gets into tight areas well. You would get a much nicer edge with a router than with a saw. But you would have a lot of vacuuming to do afterwards too.

Re: Cutting solid surface - mike4244 - 07-21-2015

I've used a router and straight edge to cut to about 3" from the backsplash. Then an angle grinder to finish. The angle grinder will cut the backsplash too. I made an Ell shaped straight edge that clamps in two places along the front.Then a 1x3 stick from straight edge to the ceiling to keep the far end down.
If the top comes off easily then this would be my first choice.

mike