Woodnet Forums
Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- (/showthread.php?tid=7059998)

Pages: 1 2

Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - mongo - 07-22-2015

I have been planning on moving cross country for the last couple years so my large tool purchases have been delayed(why carry anything extra). Well now that I am here, I am thinking about getting a miter saw.

I have woodworked for years without one. I even had and sold an old Dewalt MBF RAS that I had restored, I am not wanting to go that route again. I want something with a bit of portability. I also want something with really good accuracy and preferably as good as possible dust collection, though I know thats a strech.

I have been looking at the Bosch glide, the Festool, and the dewalt that casts a shadow, but I have been a bit out of touch on who is making the best sliding miter saw for a while. So lay your wisdom and recommendations on me. What do you like, what dont you like, what do you wish you had.

Thanks!

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - Admiral - 07-22-2015

Not answering your question, and if this is for more like shop work and not field work, but just a thought here, why slider? They take up room in the back (except for a model made by Hitachi), and if you don't need the extra depth of cut all the time, consider a 12" fixed compound miter saw. I have a Bosch, and the depth of cut I get handles 99% of what I have ever cut on it. Stays in alignment, less to go wrong. Check the specs on current models and see if a 12" fits your needs, it just might, cheaper too. If you have a table saw with a crosscut panel (or a sharp hand saw) I always thought sliders were more appropriate for construction trades.

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - vitabile - 07-22-2015

mongo said:

. . . and the dewalt that casts a shadow . . .

Er, that's the first time I've ever heard a tool described that way. Which model is this? Why does it "cast a shadow?" If you see its shadow, does that mean there will be 6 more weeks of winter or something?

Thanks

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - mongo - 07-22-2015

vitabile said:

[blockquote]mongo said:

. . . and the dewalt that casts a shadow . . .

Er, that's the first time I've ever heard a tool described that way. Which model is this? Why does it "cast a shadow?" If you see its shadow, does that mean there will be 6 more weeks of winter or something?

Thanks

[/blockquote]

LOL.... no it uses LED's over the blade to cast a shadow for alignment purposes. No adjustment for different sized blades.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/miter-saw-lasers-dws7085.aspx

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - mongo - 07-22-2015

Admiral said:

Not answering your question, and if this is for more like shop work and not field work, but just a thought here, why slider? They take up room in the back (except for a model made by Hitachi), and if you don't need the extra depth of cut all the time, consider a 12" fixed compound miter saw. I have a Bosch, and the depth of cut I get handles 99% of what I have ever cut on it. Stays in alignment, less to go wrong. Check the specs on current models and see if a 12" fits your needs, it just might, cheaper too. If you have a table saw with a crosscut panel (or a sharp hand saw) I always thought sliders were more appropriate for construction trades.

I was thinking of a slider for the extra capacity... will be used both in the shop and around the house outside of the shop. Hitcahi, Bosch and Festool all make a saw that doesnt have rails out the back. I would prefer one that doesnt but I wanted to make sure I wanted to keep a more open field for now.

I will have to look a little at the capacity of the non sliding saws... I do have a nice crosscut sled and a sharp handsaw.

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - Bill Wilson - 07-22-2015

How heavy are the big sliders? I have a 12" fixed CMS and while I can readily carry it around, I'm not sure anything much heavier should truly be considered "portable".

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - vitabile - 07-22-2015

Oh! That's neat! Nice concept.

If I ever replace my 10" Craftsman CMS, I might look at that one.

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - skizzo - 07-22-2015

Are you more likely to be cutting 4x6s or 2x10/12s? A 12" slider will be able to handle both types of boards, but is much heavier than other saws so less portable. A 12" chop saw can cut 4xs, and a 10" slider can cut wide 2xs. You have to flip the respective boards when trying to cut one beyond that style's capacity. Weight for both is more manageable than carrying around a 12" slider. Also, as noted above, a chop saw has fewer moving parts so easier to keep everything in alignment. That said, I chose a 10" slider years ago because it's a bit more versatile. I make a point of keeping it tuned up and have always loved it. It is particularly useful when cutting 6" compound miters for trim work, etc.

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - BloomingtonMike - 07-22-2015

The led light is AWESOME on the Dewalts. Best SCMS invention I have seen. Never needs adjustment and always casts a line exactly where you will cut. You can even see teh teeth on the line if the saw is not running. When you start the saw the line literally gets a tad wider due to those teeth making the full kerf.

Dewalt has another "feature". You can increase the width of cut by adding a sub table and changing the fence layout. I have a 717 with this feature. I have used that once before owning a RAS.

Also a sweet mobile stand is the Bosch T4B stand and the Delta copy of that stand. Turn one handle and it goes from fully set up a dolly ready to roll position.

Re: Talk to me of sliding miter saws- - cputnam - 07-22-2015

As part of your comparison, make sure to include clamping/hold-down capacity. I love my PC 12" CMS but there is no provision for clamping stuff down.