Woodnet Forums
Okay, enough talk, gonna build a bench - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Okay, enough talk, gonna build a bench (/showthread.php?tid=7062632)

Okay, enough talk, gonna build a bench - Ricky - 07-26-2015

My wife said "quit buying tools and stalking woodworking sites and make something."
She's got a point. So this is my progress so far. I decided on a split roubo bench. I'm going more or less for this guy's design.
Dema's workbench

Got 4 2x6's laminated so far. I have tons of mahogany scrap from some mill that went out of business a couple years back. I want the 1st set of dog holes to be square. I sandwiched these pieces, but forgot about the lip that the dog hole must rest on when inserted. So here I'm gluing 1/4 strips . Those beer bottles were just the ticket to wedge them in while drying.
I can't wait to have a real bench.
Learning a lot in the process. That old transitional jointer plane helped flatten out some cupping and twist. I love the primus smoother with the movable shoe.

Re: Okay, enough talk, gonna build a bench - Bibliophile 13 - 07-26-2015

Looking good!

Next thing you know, your wife will expect you to make some furniture at that bench, too.

Re: Okay, enough talk, gonna build a bench - Ricky - 07-27-2015

Re: Okay, enough talk, gonna build a bench - Daniel S - 07-28-2015

You'll be glad that you built it. I agree that requests will come, but I'm sure those will be fun too. Having a bench that you like working on makes things a lot easier.