Woodnet Forums
Help drilling straight with hand drill - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Help drilling straight with hand drill (/showthread.php?tid=7080042)

Help drilling straight with hand drill - Alaric - 08-21-2015

I came across this tool. Don't know if it has been posted before or not, but it seems like a great idea.

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - Steve N - 08-21-2015

Crazy money

Seems the real problem isn't drilling the entire hole straight, it's getting it to start straight for 1/2" deep or so. Something like this is faster, cheaper, and can be made for any sized bit.

Making one is easy with a drill press, and that is also what many will do when absolute 90* is needed anyhow. Use a drill press that is....

That thing would keep a kid busy for a while though

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - BillN - 08-21-2015

Where do I get one? I do make a little jig whenever I need a perpendicular hole. I didn't see a price but if it's crazy I'm sure I can continue with jigs.

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - handi - 08-21-2015

I can see it might help with drilling where you want, but I don't see how it can guarantee a straight hole.

Ralph

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - JGrout - 08-21-2015

that is one dull bit

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - Alaric - 08-21-2015

Unfortunately, I don't have a drill press <---me . So making a guide block is a little difficult.

It is certainly not a guarantee of a perpendicular hole, but I can see it being helpful.

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - JGrout - 08-21-2015

Alaric said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a drill press. So making a guide block is a little difficult.

It is certainly not a guarantee of a perpendicular hole, but I can see it being helpful.

edit to add : it is not even on the market yet no investors.

this is available just down the street and would make a drilling block just fine.

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - handi - 08-21-2015

Alaric,

Cut two blocks. Use the TS and miter gauge to cut a series of slots in them, a bit smaller than the holes you want to have in your block.

Glue the two halves together, and the square grooves will guide the drill bit. Drill the holes out to the common sizes you want in your block, and now you have a guide block. No drill press needed.

Ralph

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - Alaric - 08-21-2015

That's a good tip. Thanks.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a little bench top drill press. I don't have space for a big one in my gara-shop.

Re: Help drilling straight with hand drill - Alex Grigoriev - 08-21-2015

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/154758/...ling-guide.aspx